Hangar 9 RV-8

On the face of it, quality is more-or-less OK (apart from the usual wonky clevises with holes that aren't central), but I have the following observations;

1. The cowl is quite thin with pre-drilled fixing holes, but it didn't line up with the fuselage contour at the start of the hatch (there was a step of a couple of mm in places). It needed a thin strip of balsa on the top of F1 to make everything line up.
2. The RV-8 has a balance problem. Even with a 4000mAh battery as far forward as practical, it required 2.5+ ounces of lead in the nose to get the balance right.
3. A couple of washers had to be inserted under the motor stand-offs, because they weren't quite long enough and the spinner was rubbing on the cowling on one side.
4. My instructions (I have an early product) are a bit vague on exactly where the canopy should be positioned.
5. The cowling and motor are installed as per the instructions, but the prop-shaft exits the cowling about 5mm too high. The lower cowling holes have to be elongated and the cowling swung upwards in order to produce the correct spinner-cowling line. I think the fault here is in the cowling and firewall because the top-cowling line looks fine.
6. The Hangar 9 RV-8 has a weight problem. The manual says it should weigh "6.5 - 7 lb", the claim on the box top is "6.5 - 7.25 lb" but the actual weight in electric form, ready to fly with a 4s4000 Hyperion G3 LiPo is actually 7.7 lb.
7. Last but not least, all the control surfaces appear to be slightly too thick for the flying surfaces (so the leading edges stand proud of the wing surface). The flaps and ailerons and are pre-hinged in such a way that they protrude above the top surface of the wing by between 0.5 and 1.7 mm. If I'd noticed this at the time of purchase, I'd have rejected the model and asked to see another one.

I could have checked for that last problem in the shop but to be honest, all I could see was a nice shiny model, glinting under the flourescent lights...

I've had a couple of Hangar 9 models and on balance, I'd characterize them as well thought-out with a quality feel (apart from a few small components), but I think their quality control is no more than average.

Advert

Totally agree with your last paragraph, you need to budget for replacing many of the smaller parts such as push rods and clevises, Hangar 9 seem to make nice aircraft but skimp and save on the important parts of the kit. I noticed this on my P-51 Blue Nose, in the end I replaced all the pushrods, clevises, screws, prop nuts and bolts, probably another ?50 on top of the kit purchase price.