Calmato 60 sports Low Wing Trainer

JayCee

What are your views on the ARTF Calmato 60 sports Low Wing Trainer as a suitable model for a beginner.

I had the Calmato 40 high wing trainer but unfortunately it was wrecked on only it's third flight (see my other post in the beginners forum) and although I was going to build a replacement 40 I have been offered the use of a high wing trainer for practice.

I would like to build a replacement of some sort, as our flying site is very windy I thought a 60 might be a better bet what are you views. Also would an Irvine 53 two stroke be large enough. I'm trying to keep the cost down and I have a spare Irvine 53.
Regards

JayCee

In general terms, low wing trainers are manageable as 1st trainers. I have experience of the Calmato 40 trainer and it is quite a lively beast. I don't think that you will find the 60 any more tricky to learn on.

Irvine 53. The only way is to try it. Probably is the safest answer, but you aren't making it easy on yourself . Get an experienced flyer to test fly it and trim it out if you do go this route.

I don't see why not, a bigger plane will be easier to fly, why not take your time using the high wing trainer you've been offered use of, practice using a good sim (such as Phoenix) and then build a SIG 4 Star 60.

This was reviewed in last years Autumn special (the 2008 Nijhuis Hurricane free plan eition). It's an excellent aircraft, an easy build and IMHO, if combined with a PC RC Sim, could be used as a primiary trainer come aerobatic intro aircraft.

If you don't want to build, you can buy the 4Star 60 as an ARTF, I think pegasus models do them. Otherwise, why not try a Hangar 9 Pulse XT 40 or Pulse XT 60, an excellent and well praised model. For a cheaper option, a BH Speed Air 40 is pretty good, an ARTF and about £60.

I think in these days of simulators and easy flying low wing trainers, the days of starting on a 3ch high winger, then 4ch, then mid winger etc, are gone.IMHO

Edited By Ackers on 04/03/2010 19:53:59

Edited By Ackers on 04/03/2010 19:54:34

I have a Hanger 9 Pulse XT60, flies very well, but it would struggle on an Irvine 53 and may be a step too far. I'm not sure that it is worth the current price either. Agree with the SIG which is lighter.

If I wanted to match an Irvine 53 with a 1st low winger that handles windy conditions, a Thunder Tiger Jupiter comes to mind. I flew one for a couple of years at the high and windy Hexham field. It proved to be extremely robust and forgiving. The afore mentioned Speed Air and Travel Air are also good suggestions though not quite as robust.

Hi

Thanks for your reply(s)  I do have a Phoneix Sim and have been flying both the high and low wing trainers on it. To be honest I seem to manage them both quite well....on the Sim that is 
However, it was a bit of a shock on my first real flight (which was only last week!) I thought I was 'Jack the Lad' on the Sim but a totally different story at a 100 feet on a really windy site <grin>

I will certainly have a look at the Aircraft you suggest although I really need the ARTF route as time as well as money is an issue at present. which is why I want to be able to use my 53 Irvine if possible!

JayCee

Posted by JayCee on 04/03/2010 19:12:52:
 I'm trying to keep the cost down.

Nice as the SIG is and I would be the first to admire the quality, it's a big investment for a first model. Sadly, I fear the same might be true of the XT40. Both extremely competent, high quality models, but I think that the likelihood of a heavy arrival at some point must be considered. They will certainly fly the socks of the Jupiter which is a brick by comparison. I only suggested it for the robustness and wind absorbing qualities. The Speed Air suggestion would certainly be the cheapest at around £60. 

• 1 year later...
Calmato 60 Sports is quality artf, and is reflected in the price. Assembly time is very quick. I am very pleased with it. I have had to fly in excessive wind, and it gets blown around a lot, but it can cope as long as landings use some power and just aim at suitable angle towards runway. It is a dream to fly on the calm days. I use 4 stroke .70 engine, and it has a lovely scale speed take-off. The .70 engine is plenty of power for making huge loops, and impressive stall turns. It would be nice to have the option of using a fully symetrical wing, but then it wasn't designed to be more than a large trainer. Will fly inverted ok and outside loops etc. Takes up a lot of space in the car, but is worth it. Enjoy, John, Irlam Manchhester.

I think that an irvine 53 may be marginal, I've flown mine with an os 91fx and an sc 61 and the latter is up for it but not in the same way as the 91 fx.
The 53 will probably fly circuits and bumps fine but my guess is that with the 53 you'll have to prop it so it probably is a bit too noisy.
The jupiter, I've had several and they need wind to fly, the irvine will be ideal for the plane but they are heavier than the run of the mill trainer and about the same kind of characteristics as the calmato 60 but as I said they do need some wind to avoid higher than average landing ground speeds.
I currently have one of each in my arsenal I enjoy the calmato for its lovely slow approaches, the jupiter for its ability to fly in absurdly high winds.
I don't fly the jupiter so much as I sold the engine from out from underneath it but the one I used, os 46 fx, was ideal.
Were I you, I'd forget the calmato 60 until you have a suitably sized engine and, in the meantime, buy a Wot4 artf which will suit the irvine 53 ideally. Just my 2p.