Irvine 46 two stroke

Michael Smith

Advert

Hi Michael,

In my experience Irvine engines are not normally particularly difficult to start, and don't really require any "special" techniques that you wouldn't be familiar with from OS engines.

You say that you have bought the plane with this engine fitted - do you know how long it is since the engine ran?

Have you removed the engine from the plane, or are you trying to start it in the plane?

The reason for asking is that if its a qhile since it ran, and its still in the plane with the old tank and fuel lines etc. are you sure that its not just "gummed up"/stale fuel etc? Have you put a new glow plug in? If not are you sure that the old one is still functioning OK?

The basics for an Irvine, as any engine, is getting the fuel and the glow together in approximately the right quanties at the same time. So, first open the needle valve about 2 turns and a bit, see if are a you getting a glow (check), is fuel getting to the engine (check). If thise two are in place (and the fuel is reasonably fresh) it will start.

Get back with some more info and we can probably help some more.

BEB

Don't know if this helps but I have the same engine, and I've found that as the bearings wear it becomes more difficult to start. I first notice that it wont start on tick over you have to open the throttle a bit, then a bit more, then more as wear progresses. I believe it is due to air being sucked into the front bearing past the seal.
Change the bearings and it is like new again. This has happened twice.
The bearings are cheap enough (take them out and go to your local bearing 'shop' and they'll match them up as they are a standard bearing, mine cost £6 for the pair)