Jamara wood kits

I'm very interested in gathering opinion on Jamaras new kits; Bonanza, GeeBee, Mew Gull etc.
I think these kits are manufactured by Balsaworx in Germany and have found a few build pictures, not sure it looks too good. My problem is I've built a couple of Steven's Aero kits so have been truly spoilt.

I see Sussex Models have them for sale at the moment.

Advert

Seen the Gee Bee - seems well made/cut, good price. It suits those who have built trad kits in the past as the instructions are poorly written/illustrated. The Gee-Bee for instance has no full-size plan and no instructions re how to build the wing so you've got to build the fus first then do the wing with what's left and work it out as you go along - no parts listings, parts not numbered, small three-views enclosed are not annotated.

Build challenges aside, I would buy one as the subject matter is interesting, they seem well engineered and they're designed for leccy 

Can't speak for the flying qualities.  

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 24/03/2010 11:32:49

Thank you David.I definitely fall into the trad/scratch build category, just as long as we include carbon and foam along with balsa and ply as trad materials

Was all the hardware included in the Gee-Bee kit? horns, hinges, snakes etc

Now I need to find a supplier that has stock, everyone appears to be waiting with no due date, very frustrating

Now if my birthday hints have hit home, I should have a  j.perkins micro spit to review on Friday, fingers crossed

I see no snakes required for the Bonanza, the V tail servos sit inside the rear fuz under the tail plane. So short carbon runs with small clevises will work for the tail and ailerons, probably torque rods for flaps. With the addition of retracts, will definitely need to disable the bec, and go with a separate radio battery.

This one will also be the excuse I need to go 2.4gig as I've run out of memories on my 6EXA
DX7 looks like a good step up

These kits caught my eye too.....I know its not the point & you can't beat building your own model etc etc but the price did indicate just how cheap our ARTFs really are.....I'm an unashamed Pitts Special fancier so the Pitts caught my eye but at £70 for the kit I could buy a ready built & covered version from Planenutz 

You hit the nail on the head "you can't beat building your own model". I guess if you love to build and don't trust the quality of artfs, you build. If you don't have time or inclination to build you look for a good artf. It's a question of choice, and the distributors know it, and set the prices accordingly. Makes you wonder how much someone in a Chinese factory earns though don't it? Back on track; I'll post photos of the kit components as soon as it arrives.

Well after DHL decided they couldn't be bothered to deliver my kit, I collected today.

Nice big (for a kit) box  of balsa all nicely packed and complete. The nice people at Gliders UK even include a colour print of the englich manual, which is above and beyond the call of duty as it's included on the CD that ships with the kit in place of a printed plan.

My only query is the lack of wheels and under cart for the Bonanza. Gliders UK tell me that they are not included as the kit is intended for the optional retracts. My take is that there is no option, I have to buy something (there is no plan or guidence provided for either retracts or fixed undercarriage) This is a shame as I dont think a bit of piano wire and a trio of wheels whould effect Jamaras profit margin too much.

Balsa and ply sheet are very nicely lazer cut (could be router, I don't know the difference) and the little pack of cyano hinges, bolts and ply horns is all complete and of good quality.

The lack of a plan makes parts identification a little difficult especially as the manual appears to be a montage from the whole range. It's kind of like scratch building from parts your mate cut for you.

Got the first (bottom) half of the fuz done this evening befoer is got too cold in the shed.

photos to follow