Scale Corrugated Skin.

Hi all.
I'm thinking of drawing up plans for a sixth scale Junkers J1. The idea of doing an accurate job of the corrugated skin isn't putting me off, but I thought I'ld pick the brains of the rest of you scale builders regarding corrugations in this scale. It's accuracy i'm after, not a "quick-fix" stand off representation.

Advert

For the really masochistic - I saw a reproduction of corrugations in an Americam plan many years ago where the designer had used a purpose made steel 'comb' with the gaps between the 'teeth' semi-circular in shape so that he could use it to form balsa into a grooved cross-section to give him a corrugated sheet - then it was a case of stripping out the raised portions, giving him, in effect, semi-circular beading which was then applied at the appropriate spacing. This was a long time ago - perhaps folks had more patience then! To be fair to him, he used it to represent corrugated skin on the control surfaces of a light a/c. The Junkers would be quite a challenge!

Mike

Thanks guys.
I've heard of the "balsa comb" idea before Mike. A similar method is to form a groove in a hardwood block to fit a length of dowel of the right diameter, then epoxy a razor blade flat at a slight angle across the groove, so as to slice the dowel into two semi-circular lenghts when it's fed through. These "corrugations" are then applied to the model at the correct spacing, as per your post.
I agree it would be a challenge, but it may be the most realistic method...... Unless anyone knows better??

Richard
First thing comes to mind over sheeted areas is a series of "external" stringers glued on.Fairly easy to apply (compared to some methods) ,very strong,light & of course will go around curves if there are any on the Junkers! Call me old fashioned but
I 'd probably apply tissue & dope with a stiffish brush to follow the contours beefore spraying topcoat ????
Grumpy Myron

Steve, it's like one of those Zen meditation exercises, switch off the mind and go with the flow etc. LOL.
Think positive, at least with the J1, the corrugations are only on the wings and tail, the fuselage is clear..............Just got "Ergun funfzig" amount of rivets to worry about on the armoured front section!

There are 3 methods of corrugation I have seen published.

1 A very early 1980's Scale Aircraft Special ( MAP/Argus/ Nexus) showed how someone made a rolling (mangle type ) device to corrugate litho plate!

2. A method to make Tiger Moth tank corrugations from card with slots cutin Gordon Whiteheads book.

3 A method of covering the model in corrugated cardboard was shown in some mag. Seems the easiest idea.

If you seriously want to try 1 or 2 I know I have the article. At the moment I cannot remember where 3 was published.

Thanks kdc, i was thinking of the corrugated card idea at one point but i think it would soon show "hanger rash".
The litho idea seems good and i may experiment down that road.
Just been checking some data on the J1. It seems that when scaled out to 1/6th, the corrugations would be 1.5mm high with 7.5mm centres. (Unless i made a big boo-boo with the calculator!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Mike Eccles of Southport MAC built an 11' wing span Ju52/3 and used corrugated cardboard soaked in pva glue. You might like to contact him for the application details. He and his model were on the front page of BMFA News april 07 Issue 87 - looks great (the Ju52/3 that is).

Mike Eccles of Southport MAC built an 11' wing span Ju52/3 and covered the fuz with corrugated paking paper soaked in pva glue (may have been diluted). The model appeared on the font cover of the April 07 (Issue 81) of the BMA News - looked great. You may care to contact him for further details.

In case you missed my previous posts I give below examples of the SIG corrugated scale covering for control surfaces, which comes in sheets 0.01" thin.

Part no's are SIGRPCP2571 (8" x 17") and SIGRPCP2572 (6.5" x 13.5") - note the latter distance between corrugations is greater than the former.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/28034/SIG_corrugated_vac-form_0.jpg

sizing up .....

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/28034/SIG_vac-form_mouldings_0.jpg

on the model .......... - this is not mine but from mag pics of a father and son built scale model of a Cessna Bird Dog in vietnam colours

Best of luck with your project.

• 6 months later...