A quick heli question

Rookie

Hi all i have a quick question....i have a twister 3d storm and i finally found out i need to setup the head and servo's including the pitch and tracking.

I have done all that but two things are baffling me, first is my blades appear to be curved when rotating....are they too loose? also my gyro will work when i hold heli and test it....as the following video shows.

any ideas why it would not work when on ground? the video below is me doing a tiny hover, but i had to have full rudder trim to the right and then some right rudder stick input so it will steady, i have centered servo's and fiddled with the gyro gain.

also about the blades, they seem to curve clockwise would that be due to them needing tightening? 

Thank you for taking your time to view this thread. 

Advert

First thing, please please please, never do that again. Even with the slow head speed, it would take an eye out. I can not even begin to explain to you, how dangerous that is.

Regarding the tail issue, I'd say that you have too much pitch in the hover. The head speed is way too slow for a twister storm. If you do not have the head speed, you will not have enough tail rotor speed to compensate the torque of the main rotor. Do you have a pitch gauge ??. What do you have your throttle curve set to ??.

The curved blades is a phasing visual illusion of the camera shutter speed relative to the rotor speed. It doesn't show loose blades. Your blades should be tight enough, so if you hold the heli (NOT RUNNING !!!) on it's side, the blade should not drop under it's own weight.

That nodding could be a sign of the head speed being too low, or something is bent (hard to tell without seeing the model in the flesh). I can only advise you to find someone or a club to give you a hand to get the set up spot on. Heli's are not that hard to fly, but a badly set up one can be nigh on impossible, or even dangerous.

One last thing, if that's your kid knocking about, keep them well away. Even the little heli's can get away from you really quickly, and there is the possiblity of something failing or flying off. Would hate to see anyone get hurt. Heli's require even more respect than the planes (my opinion).

Well done on getting it airborne.

Cheers,

Simon

i hear you loud and clear on both the safety issues, sorry about the holding the heli while spooling....i saw it on youtube and thought it was ok.

My little one was at the window with it open on the safety catch, but glad you have my boy's safety in mind too.

thinking about it i think the rotor speed is low too, whats the bbest way to adjust that? throttle curve?

yeah i have a pitch gauge, pitch is 0 at mid stick and 9 degs at full....pitch curve is at 50% L,2,3 80% at 4 and 100% full throttle. 

Throttle curve is default dx6i setting (L=0%, 2=25%, 3=50%, 4=75%, H=100%)

i am guessing throttle is incorrect and thats why my tail is acting like a lemon?

Many thanks simon. 

Glad about the little one, couldn't tell from the vid but thought it was worth mentioning. Heli's attract people, especially kids. When you start hovering, you will be shocked by how little awareness you have of anything going on around you. A mate came up to me when I was test hovering a new model a few months back. Didn't see him walk up next to me, and phsically jumped when he said "how's it going mate". If the heli had been lower, it would have been in bits.

Anyway, leave the throttle curve alone, for the time being, it should be okay. Regarding your pitch curve, I'd say -2 at the bottom (could leave it at zero, but will make heli mushy when trying to lose height), 5 degrees at mid stick, and maybe 8 to 9 degrees at top. So this would be low, mid and high points on the curve, if you can, disable any of the points in between (or make sure the number is half way between the points, for example if its 20% on the curve to get -2, and 60% in the middle, then the point in between will be 40%....keeping it linear with no sudden jumps).

The head speed will need to be quite high, Have a look on youtube for someone flying a storm (which looks like it's flying well !!!), and compare to your own.

It's hard to set up a model by describing on text, but if I can help, just come back to me.

Cheers,

Simon

thanks simon, dunno how i'll sort out the tail issue, but i understand the pitch side, the only reason i put mid stick at 0degs was because since i started flying i have had hard (and costly) landings due to negative pitch, (as well as the fact that i only just found out that RTF only means you have everything u need and not that its all setup to fly out of the box.....cost me over £100 so far in parts) so i was trying to prevent the damage from low altitude hovering.

thank you mate. 

No problem having zero degees, but it need to be matched to the stick being a zero throttle.

I would really recomend you find a local club. Most would be happy to help you get it set up. Computer radios and CCPM (electronically mixed) helicopters are not easy to set up. There are a few ways you could go about it, but without seeing the model in front of me, it's really hard to describe what needs to be changed.

Where abouts are you location wise ??.

There is nothing to sort out with the tail. if the headspeed increases, the tail will speed up and start to hold better, so the trim shouldn't be required. If the tail still needs that much adjustment, you will  need to mechanically adjust it by the linkage. I can't remember where the tail servo is mounted, but on most 450 size heli's they are on the boom, so the mount can be slid in the correct direction to correct the out of trim condition.

Cheers,

Simon

the tail servo is mounted on the boom so if it needs adjusting i can try that one.

I live in bolton and my local club is about 25 miles away....and as my car is screwed i cant travel there and back...i contacted the club to see if they are accepting members and to see about car share, they said they aren't accepting members atm, but they put me on the waiting list and car share shouldn't be a problem when the time arrives.

I asked if they have a heli pilot that lives in bolton and could assist me in the setup of my heli and they gave me a guy's number.....i spoke to him and he said to call him at 6:30pm...i did and no answer, i have tried him several times to no avail..i even left a couple of polite messages on his answerphone asking him to miss call me when he has the time to chat...still nothing, so it seems i am still alone.

Sorry about the essay and poor grammar, i am tired lol. 

Might be worth registering on helifreak, and watching some of the finless Bob videos. Although a lot of the videos are based around Align heli's, the basic principles are the same for setting gyros and radios etc.

Even though this is a great forum, I think it's more biased towards planes. Not sure if this goes again the rules, but rcheliaddicts is a very good uk forum, and I'm sure you would find a helpful heli pilot close to where you are. Got to be worth a try ??

With out a decent set up, you might continue down an expensive learning curve, which can be very frustrating.

Cheers,

Simon

Thanks Simon, i've registered with that site and awaiting for my account to be fully active.

OMG that guy in the vid was silly...if he caught his leg that would of been very painful.

I'll check the tracking out to see if its ok and i think the gyro is ok.....but then i am a noob lol. 

In my helicopter flying, I have had no professional input (Buddy boxxing, training etc) whatsoever except for rcgroups, I was lucky enough to have my gyro set perfectly out of the box and I am a natural engineer so I managed to work out how to maintain it pretty quickly.

As long as you are holding the heli secure, I don't see why you couldn't do it, it's how I first set up my tracking, having my dad hold it and I spin up the rotors to about half throttle