Senior Telemaster Barn Door Wing Build

Advert

Well I finally managed to get the Barn Door Wing Senior Telemaster into the air last Thursday. If you're interested there's a video on my website showing the maiden flight of the Barn Door Wing Telemaster. It's not particularly good quallity and we will put better film of it later on but at least she flew. That's me in the TSUK fleece and Australian hat. She was the straightest model I ever built requiring virtually no trim alteration once she'd left the ground, testimony to the strength of the Barn Door wing I'd suggest. Go to www.telemastersalesuk.co.uk then click on "our Telemasters" then click on "Original Design" to view.  

There were several reasons why the video was not of the best; old equipment, cloudy day, inexperienced operator, indifferent pilot (me!), an engine which we hadn't adjusted to run properly at slow speed and a temperature only just above freezing.

There's also a picture of me holding the STM with its wing tip on the floor to show how big it is. Looks like the tailplane is not quite in alignment with the mainplane. (To my old late lamented ex-RAF buddy Frank Wall, a wing was always a "Mainplane," RAF parlance I suppose.) Didn't affect the flight characteristics but it is something I must check out along with the slow-speed settings of the engine.

Specs: She weighs 11lbs (4.8 kilos) and is powered by a Thunder Tiger 91FS engine, (a 75FS would be more than ample,) two-piece wing joined with carbon fibre rod and tube, Spektrum Dx6i radio, 15x7 prop, undercarriage by Carbon Copy, Du-Bro Quiet Mount, Puffin Models Glider Tow Release, tailplane re-cycled from my old STM which crashed years ago owing to pilot error, (the pilot hadn't charged the receiver batteries enough!) covering by Solartex, Vintage Orange, Vintage Blue and Natural with two coats of Clearcoat sprayed on, V-struts painted in Dulux Black Weathershield Gloss housepaint which has proven to be fuelproof thus far, vinyl lettering by Signs and Labels of Hadnall and wheels courtesy of my late mother's laundry basket! 

A film covered model built without the flaps, glider tow release and lower fuselage strengthening to accomodate floats and skis could probably have weigh less than 10 lbs.

Happy Landings

David