Black Horse P40

udi shtelman

That was exactly the problem I had with my retracts.  They failed at exactly the same point, and they are a pig to screw back in.  Interestingly the retracts were given a 2 thumbs up in the recent RCM&E review.  I have put them back in place with high strength thread lock, but not had chance to fly it and see how they hold up.  Time will tell.

Advert

Ive even just bought a new Retract servo to see if thatll cue the problem Im having.I Found the problem I was having with my Texan retracts wa I had to move the end poit to 140 one way and 94 the other.They worked perfectly on Thursday so I now have them as a guide all be it that they dont twist like the P40 retracts

• 6 months later...
Having trouble with the retracts as is everyone else. They collapsed on take off. Tried the Udi method with locktite, no good, so loctited and glued the bar to the collet, no good, so now have bound the bar to the collet with thread glued over the top of the thread and on top of that have put some two part putty, sets like iron. Tomorrow will be the big test, will report on progress.
JB

Mine sits in the garage, gathering dust.

I think given the setup replacement electric retracts are the only way to go- but for the weight of the plane you are looking at another £150 or so- and I don't think you can get twist and turns.

It will stay in the garage until I either put it on ebay or bin it. Since I have cracked the canopy I doubt it is worth the trouble of fixing since the airframe was so cheap in the first place.

A real shame as it looked superb on the 2 flights it had.

Get the H9 warhawk, it is superb.
Retracts are solid, a little wobbly but mine survived two years of hard landings.
had an OS 1.20 fs in mine and it was brilliant.
recently lost to a mid air with a foamy which severed the wing completely.

Darryl

there are 2 versions of this model, the kit i had, the retracts went straight back, on the first version, they had a kink to them, this ment you could not fit after market versions, the thing flys ok, and its cheap enough to invest n some decenet airs, the attach the servo link every time you want to use it, is tantamount to disaster for me, fit airs, simple twist of the connectors, and off you go, century jet have a nice set, with oleos, and scissor links,

• 2 months later...
Re the Seagull P40. I kept trying to repair the retracts, the little joint as in Udi's picture is the problem .Tried every known method of getting thiis little piece to stay in the collet. Silver solder seemed to be the thing. However one kept coming apart, and after one or two failures I finally fixed it for good.. Got the piece too hot and it melted. So I did what every one else did , reverted to fixed wheels using an old Robarts retract set that had broken . . The wheels stay locked and the plane flies beautifully and the wheels are not very noticable in the air. Have made Ripmax who distribute the kit aware of the problem. However I think that the advertiing should not have as a feature "Twist and Turn Retracts". As to be brutally honest the ones supplied are not fit for purpose. However my friend said "What do you expect for the price you paid for the kit. He has a point .Great pity, as already said, she flies well and looks good. I hope the retailers read this and they warn would be purchasers, as it is very disappointing. Has anyone found them to be satisfactory in use?