Vic Smeed Popsie X2

Advert

Posted by Jim Newberry on 18/07/2010 15:01:18:
Go on Bruce, build the 155" Popsie!! That's very nearly 13 feet - who wouldn't pay to see that fly???
Looking forward to seeing the build progress, and thanks to Sparks for the steer.
Jim 
 You are welcome Jim.

Love the idea of Popsie 155. I don't have near enough room for one in my flat though. With a fuse width of around 18" you could almost get in the thing and fly it yourself!

sparks

Posted by Jim Newberry on 18/07/2010 22:32:10:
155" Popsie.... I'm actually tempted! The only thing stopping me is the glazing.... anybody got any ideas how to build the windscreen at that size?? If someone comes up with a solution I'll give it a go!
 If you added some framing, you might get away with using 2 or 3 sheets of A4 acetate. But it would probably be better to get some thin, maybe 1mm Lexan sheet. It's maybe a little heavy, but fully flexible and doesn't split like some other clear plastic materials.

There now Jim, nothing more to worry about is there!

sparks

Posted by Jim Newberry on 19/07/2010 08:47:41:
I must remember not to post on here after red wine! Think I'll watch and see how the 2x version gets on before committing myself to anything!!

Hi Jim,
Dutch courage is a wonderful way to talk yourself into a whole heap of trouble. I agree its probably best to see how Bruce gets on with the 2X
sparks

• 3 months later...
Well ..................................................................................... I see I started this thread back in June and I have finally got it on the building board!

Should only be another year before its complete

Original plan published in December 1951.

Edited By Bruce Richards - Moderator on 17/11/2010 16:22:52

Edited By Bruce Richards - Moderator on 17/11/2010 18:30:28

Starting to look like a wing

I am never happy with the accuracy of my building. I guess it will get better with practice. I tried really hard to get the slots in the ribs to fit the spars perfectly but the are slightly too deep, although they are nice and tight apart from that. I used a band saw to cut them undersized and cleaned them up with a file.

Now for some glue!

• 4 years later...