Newbie Power Dilemma

Hi I'm returning back to the sport after 18 years break (used to fly RC Slope Soarers when I was a lad!) and could do with some advice on electric flight.

I have narrowed down my choices to a Multiplex Easy Glider Electric and a Spectrum DX6 Radio Set. Assuming that these will be OK for a beginner (not sure if the included servos wii fit the wing so will get some Nano servos as well). I am not sure about which battery + Charger + ESC / BEC combination to go for. I am swayed by either NiMH or LiPo, but would like some suggestions of both types of kit to look at. Any advice appreciated!

The model comes with a geared 400 motor and suggests 7-8 cell NiMh or 1-2 Cell LiPo. I am aware of the incediary nature of LiPos but am always keen to try new tech! :o)

Cheers

Tom Foreman

Advert

Forget the DX6 - get the DX7. DX6 is only "parkflier" range, and is not compatible with the better receivers sush as AR7000 full range. DX7 also has more features suited to full range model operation.
MPX easy glider is fine. IF the rig you buy comes with servos, then they should fit the model, if they dont COMPLAIN to the retailer.
LiPo is IMHO the way forward for batteries in our hobby. Initial outlay including charger /balancer etc is more, and they must be treated with more care than NMH but offer far superior power to weight performance than NMH. Check out the various threads on this forum for answers to many of your inevitable questions. I would think that the suggestion that the geared 400 motor should be operated on 1 x LiPo cell is duff.
2s minimum, and for real thrust and power 3s. This means 3 cells in series incidentally, so will provide a lot more volts/amps/power than 7 cell nmh. 7 cell nickel based battery = nominal voltage 8.4V
3 series LiPo = nominal 11.1V for a fraction of the weight too !

Thanks for the response Timbo, I am leaning towards Li-Po. With regards to the DX7 I take it you think the extra expense is worth it over the DX6. I read over at an American forum that the range was very good and you just got less features than the DX7. Is this not the case?

Cheers

Crikey SMILIES AT LAST ! OH boy, am I gonna pig out on this answer

Well yes, but then you have answered your own question and given IMHO a reason to go DX7 More features...which you WILL want one day believe me.

Ok enough with the smilies ( poor choice incidentally...sorry David -know its not your fault, but come on....where the heck did they dig that lot up from !! )

Tom. If you only believe one thing I tell you make it this one.....

YOU WILL WANT THE EXTRA FEATURES IN THE FUTURE.

I have lost count of the number of times I have heard people say " but I only need a very basic set as I am a beginner"

WRONG! As soon as that budget cheapo set arrives in your sweaty little hands, and is installed into your first aeroplane - you are no longer a beginner. ONE DAY in the not very distant future, you will be heard to utter the immortal words....." I wish now I had a better radio set".  The DX& has loads of stuff that the 6 does not, 20 model memory versus 10, dual rates on rudder, servo sync, model match etc...checkout this link. DX6 is yesterdays transmitter, just as NMH are yesterdays power source for most planes.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM2710