PRANGSTER. Help with ailerons.

Anyone built a Prangster who can advise?
Cant get the ailerons on the wing good enough.
I have followed the manual used the dowel to space etc BUT i get too big a gap or gap is just right but the aileron is higher at one end than the other,and of course i have had a instance of to small a gap so movement restricted.
Is they any tips of different method?

Advert

Hello,

I have built several Prangsters and helped the build of others.  I have not encountered the problems you mention.

When I was fitting them I laid a length of the bullet/diamond  tape in a flat surface with the sticky side upwards.  Then I placed the wing in position over it., positioned the dowels, and the aileron, and then removed the dowel and placed the upper tape.  Then , still on the flat surface I pushed the aileron back towards the wing so that the two pieces of the tape bulges inwards towards each other and touched.

I think that it is important that the sticky tape is "relaxed" when you apply it so that is does not try to distort.things. 

Like many other aspects of the prangster, the hinging of the ailerons is not totally solid, but rather flexible, but since the whole aircraft is somewhat flexible, which of course is  how they survive,

Good luck.

Plummet

Wood?  No.  The prangster's wings are foamy and covered in sticky tape.  The ailerons are correx sheet, the sort of plastic sheet used for estate agent's signs. 

So yes, go to your model shop for a replacement, but only if it is up for sale 

I suspect that the tape forming the hinge may not be quite right.  It should form an X or an H cross section along the hinge.  It may be more of a U shape at one end.

Plummet

• 5 months later...