Propellosaurus by Cyril Carr

Started building the Propellosaurus by Cyrill Carr (RCM&E April 2009)

Cut the depron but before I glue it together I have to shape the main sheet to set the dihedral. The write up says affix some parcel tape to it bend it then remove tape.

I don't see how the depron will hold the shape....

Any advice any one.

Advert

Well a bit of progress.>>

Found a local supply of an alternative to Blue foam, Jewson stock cavity insulation board called …..Recticel cavity batts. It is an extruded polystyrene with foil both faces. The Foil is easy to removed. The foam is very light weight. When sanded there are a few open cells but they can be filled with one fill polyfiller.

Also made some claws,
Used garden wire and a pot of chemical metal from Halfords.

>>Didn’t like the Cyril Carr version for a head so drew one myself, my 12 years old son also had a go and as his version was better than mine that’s what I built.

Motor mount to the back of the head with a 10mm aluminium tube glued in to hold the bell motor. Just push the motor into the tube.

>>

As you can tell my model shop supplier so far is Jewsons and Halfords…nice and cheep.

Painted the head with deluxe materials Flexikote

Glued it to the body

To get the motor thrust angle I pushed a 1m long 8mm tube into the motor mount tube in the back of its head. With this I could check alignment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I test flew before paining and the thrust angle and C of G were all wrong

On power and she headed for the ground and broke her neck.

Will glue the head back on looking up thus setting the motor pointing to the tail rather than parallel with the body.

Will up date again soon.

Edited By Stephen Stokes on 22/08/2010 08:38:37

• 2 weeks later...
You may have noticed I have actually built two of these beasties.
My mate test flu the first one while I have been on holiday.

Initial reports are the thrust angle is wrong and the C of G needs to be 10mm back from the recommended position.

On the maiden with power on the thing headed for the ground, initial trust angle 0 degrees, with the motor parallel with the wing.

Second flight at around 15 degrees, motor pointing at the tail she wouldn't climb under power and ailerons non responsive.

The drawings have no recommended thrust angel so time to seek advice can anyone help?

• 5 months later...