Stringalong

Stephen Grigg

Advert

Finishing the wing covering proved a little different because when I had previously stripped the covering

found it to be beige inside,and hand painted on the outside by hand.I decided to carry out the same technic except I had a can of Spectrun Cub Yellow so decided to use that and spray finish the covering.The colour match appears fine.

As the covering went so well decided to concentrate on this on.First job was to get the broken wing bolt out,and once that was done see if I had a replacement,found 4,so thats OK,next was soldering an extension on the needle valve.To start with I couldnt get enough heat in so I repaired a 60 amp soldering iron but that was struggling.So I then helped it by using an additional 40 amp as well.now this took some jiggling,have you noticed when you put a hot sodering iron down the lead pulls it towards you!! so with various tools to defend myself with and with 3 soldering rolle of solder ready in case I dropped one or something the second attempt worked.Riding on a cloud of success I moved in to the lounge and proceeded to change the engine.Its only the 2 sruts now and its ready for test day no2.

Showing the engine fitted the old engine and cowl fitting silencer, followedby the silencer fitted and the lower cowl then the top cowl that clips in and fially the needle valve extension.I had to drill the prop as this engine has a shoulder on the prop shaft.I also fitted a third fuel tube for filling as its akw ard taking the carb pipe on and off

Had time this evening to readjust the throttle as we coulnt get it set up at the field.I then fitted up the lower wing and made a couple of struts.The weather looks very promising for tomorrow.I havent tried to start this engine yet Ill do that at the field.Itll be a lot easier to adjust the needle valve with the extension now fitted.

Stringalong flew again today,the engine much more powerfull than the others.Didnt like my knob on the end of the adjuster,felt like my fingers might slip off it so Im changing that.My expert declared the engine to noisy,but there were a lot much nosier including his owner Junior 60 with a diesel,now that was noisy.Cut out on approach and took the lower wing off,so I still havent had a proper fly of it yet.No damage,just have to fix the wing nut.,and make it quieter,it has an in board silencer,see if I can stick a baffle in it

Ive spent the last 2 evenings  investigating why the present engine was noisier than the other  2.I discovered at first the silencer bolts had come lose.The reason is the thread in the block is worn and part stripped.I inspected the 3 engines and found the original twin glow plug engine to be perfect on these threads.The reason for the engine change was because the carb leaked like a sieve on this engine and was non standard.But I couldnt get either of the other carbs to fit as the engine carb aperture was to small.So this evening I cleaned the carb  and engine thoroughly and the carb then fitted perfectly.So the original engine is now back in the Stringalong with an original carb fitted.The wing mount nut is going to be as easy as I  thought.The original is a plastic mount that broke.Its riveted into place.Tomorrow Il have to dremel it off and make a replacement mount