Stringalong

Stephen Grigg

I managed to acquire the gorgeous bipe about a year ago.Fitted with a seized Merco 61 I managed to unseize it anf get it running,I fitted new servos and radio,took it to the field and although the carb was leaking a bit of fuel my instructor and I flew it.I wasnt really to an acceptable standard to feel confortable flying it but took it to the field a week or so ago.I was hoping to enter it into our vintage day.Unfotunately the engine carb has now become a sieve so although we were able to get it running it was to rough ,and had to much of a leak to fly.A collegue offered to repair the Engine  as his company use loads of small O rings and he is sure hell have loads in stock.I havent been able to contact him since and Ive been driving around with the engine in the boot ever since.Being a person who likes to have to arrows ar once,I saw a Merco 61 on E bay ,maybe even foe spares with a nice looking carb attached.I bought it for £10 pounds.My Merco is the one with 2 glow plugs where as the one I bought has the one.However hopefully Ill have an engine in soon and will be able to fly it.The width of the engine id wider than most of mine and the way its built would be difficult to change.Id like to keep it original.I do have an MDS 61 somewhere but just cant locate it.I found a Meteor engine dont know about that one and a newish looking Vega in a box,not sure of that one either but they do both fit,so there are afew options

Advert

Hi Stephen,

The carb on the Merco looks like an old perry type carb, I always had problems with those. My little thunder tiger 25 was not a real proposition to trust in a model, and it had the same type of carb. Swapped the carb for an OS type from an old OS max 20, new plug and it runs sweet. The carb made all the difference and there's been loads on Ebay just lately. Matools do a box of o'rings from 3mm upwards and there very cheap, their on Ebay too, just brought their digital rev counter.

Cheers,

Chris

I've still got my Stringalong which I built back in 1968, whilst recovering from a minor operation! I fitted mine with 4 ailerons, rather than the 2 strip ones on the lower wing. With a Webra Blackhead 61 turning a 13/6 prop, it was quite a performer!

I broke the lower wing a few years back, flying it in conditions that were a little too windy for it at a display. It dropped a wing on landing when caught by a cross-wind gust. Its currently all stripped down and awaiting re-covering, though I may take the opportunity to make some proper built-up wings this time, rather than re-use the original foam ones!

IIRC it was designed by Frank Knowles, who I remember seeing flying it at the Nationals in F3A aerobatics! It put up quite a good show against the Tauruses (is that a word?) which were the premier aerobatic models of the day!

<Sigh!> Happy Days!

--
Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if the carb has been cured yet so with this in mind I bought another Merco 61 off E bay for £10,Looks excellant but no needle valve But the carb is totally different to the fist engine.Undaunted and wanting to corner the market fo Merco 61 engines,I found another one  on E bay complete with carb needle valve,silencer prop and spinner,so hopefully I can get Stringalong in the air next weekend.Ive stuck with the Merco because thats what it came with its what fits the metal engine mount and th in cowl exhaust system

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 15/08/2010 23:34:28

My Merco 61 engine arrived today., looks good,didnt have as high compression as the twin plug one  from the model.The carb was  just to big to fit the original engine so I fitted the engine that arrived today.The only problem I have is the needle valve adjuster doesnt stick out of the cowl and there is no way of fitting  an extension.Ive cut a slot in the head of the adjuster and found a screw driver that is long enough to reach the adjuster and have fingers beyond the prop.Coulnt tthink of a better way.Its a straight forward job to put the engine in and out so Ill take all 2 other engines with me and if we feel the engine isnt poweerfull enough we can swop them over.I started and tuned the engine and it sounds excellant ticks over nice and slowly as well

Hi Stephen,

I've added them to my watched items, just looking for a plan for a Tipsy Junior about 50 to 60 inch span for a 40 to 60 4 stroke. I built the KK rubber one back in the late 50's or early 60's, covered it in school bog paper and dope. Wont admit to how it flew, but the covering should give you a clue . Sorry mods .

Chris.

The problem Ive had is the needle valve and carb.my original 2 plug motor has a plastic carb with a lever next to the needle valveand I couldnt get it to run satisfactorily.The first engine came,looks fine but no needle valve.the second engine comes compplete looks excellant,but the compresion not as high as the other2,Iv put this down to dryness but we will see.So the latest engine fitted but the needle valve adjuster is to short so the only way to adjust is cut a slot in the end and use a screw driver not to happy but im visiting a tool shop to get a long narrow screw driver.There is one Merco on E bay that looks like it has agood length needle valve.I made enquiries about getting a replacement but it seems the best bet is E bay,so 3 Merco 61 and still looking.I did run up the engine and adjustment was  OK but want it ti be safer

Hey Stephen,
Many years ago, for control liners mostly, we used to cut the needle valve short and fit it with a spring, soldered on, to reduce breakages and allow clearance from the prop etc.

Big Bandit, i'm still laughing at the 'Izal Special' creaser!

sparks

A rather challenging day.Arrived at the field good and early  so as to get a place that didnt entail to much walking.Set up and ready before anyone else and the stringalong all fuelled up to test thr replacement Merco.A lot of adjusting before we were able to get it runnung although it was perfect in the week.First cuople of times stalled on the strip.3rd time lucky,off she flew,bit of trimming tranny handed to me and within seconds a deadstick.Landed fine,readjusted,2nd take off sruggled and died.3rd take off OK but started to lose power so landed again.Thorough check of tank fuel pipes,blew through everthing,started readjusted,held vertically,and we decided my expert collegue would give it a good run,then we would refuel and Id have a go.4th take off sounded fine and seemed to be fine until the midair occurred.We  didnt even see the other model,just the lower wing departing,with the ailerons.My friend faught to land on rudder and succeeded.The damage is fairly light, the lower wing on one side,lost 2 struts and a small area of the ypper wing