Kyosho TA152 - Engine Choice?

Marky

Good morning all, I was wondering if anyone has built the large Kyosho TA152H, I'm just about to get one and see that it recommends engines of either 90 size T/S or 90 - 1.20 Size F/s, I was leaning towards an F/S 1.20, primarily to help balance the longer fuselage, in addition I was thinking of using a separate battery for the retractable undercarriage. It has a target weight of 4500-5000 Grams with a w/s of 81" so hopefully she will a pussycat to fly.

Advert

Hi Shaun, Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay, I now have the TA152, very nice kit, I'm impressed, I'm going to do a bit of additional work on the camouflage and sealing the edges of the covering. Luckily I have a new Magnum 120 F/S thats been stuck in a drawer for looking for a home so I will be using that. I was going to buy the Seagull Dewoitine D-520 and have seen some lovely videos on youtube but wanted to start off with something with a lower wing loading so the TA152 fits the bill perfectly at the moment. I'll try and get some photos of the build and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the advice. Mark.

Hi Marky, if I'm not too late, I just getting to the stage of balancing my 152 and I can say that you need a heavy engine or loads of lead!  That is with a separate retract battery and the RX battery all up the front end with the tank.

I have a Saito 100 FS which needs about 210g of extra weight.  The SC 120 FS has that included in it's construction, would be cheaper and would do the job really well, not to mention the money you would save buying it!

Good luck, hope to fly mine soon.

Hi Peter,
Many thanks for that, I've just started the build on mine and have done the wings, servos, etc,. I have a Magnum 1.20 F/S, in addition I will be having a separate battery for the retract and RX and of course I'll try and stuff it all in the tank bay. Oh! I managed to find a picture of the cockpit and printed it off to fit the kit, and of course you have got to have a half decent pilot in the office, I got mine from Pete's Pilots on Ebay.
I don't know about you but I am hoping this model will behave just like the real thing with it's extended wing span, more like a low wing trainer. If you have Eric 'Winkle' Brown's book WINGS OF THE LUFTAFFE he gives a good write up of the TA152 from his test flying notes.
I'll be using a master airscrew 15x6 prop
Many thanks, Mark.

Hi Mark,
I like the idea of the Magnum, that should do the business and maybe the balance for you.  I left the wings until last - just for s change! - and found the same old problem with the flap servos as I had with their Spitfire.  Unless I'm mis-understanding it, what they sketch in the book doesn't reverse the servo action so you either need a reversing Y-lead or a pretty expensive TX with spare ouputs!  Rather too late (only idiots drop off the same way twice!) I turned the whole servo hatch through 180 degrees but, if you haven't epoxied the blocks onto the hatch tou could carfefully removve the covering and rebuild the hatch so that both servos face the same wing tip.  Then the flaps will go the same way.

Thanks for the references, I'll try to find them.  I don't know a lot about the history, I just happened to find a model I fancied which could take my Saito 100 that had been released from duty in the Mustang  by virtue of a wing spar failure during a roll - all probably due to an inadequate repair following u/c tear out in a poor dead stick arrival.  One thing just leads to another!  I do think Kyosho have excelled themselves with this model (except the flap servo bit) and I'm hoping for great things in flight too.  Not quite there yet, family matters took over, not to mention the weather!  Roll on the Indian Summer.  I think we need to update this thread when we get airborne - take it gently!
Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes I agree. The TA152 is a bold subject for Kyosho, I don't think they have everything right, being sport scale, I had already sorted the flap side of things out by turning one servo around, now that I have the Magnum 1.20 F/S installed I'm beginning to find that even with two batteries stuffed up front as well that I may still require some weight  to balance it up, Personally I dislike giving lead a free ride around the sky but if is has to be...
Even though the TA152 is turning out to be quite a large model I am hoping it will still be a pussycat to fly, I will try and place some photos soon.
Many thanks
Mark.

Hi Pete,
I've uploaded some photos of the TA152, Nearly finished now, Just a bit of weathering to do and little repair to the canopy, test run the Magnum 1.20 F/S today during the showers, runs a treat. The COG instructions said 115-125mm back from the leading edge so I've gone for 120mm, but I found that I still needed to add a pack of stick on weights + 40g of other lead in the tank bay to get it to balance slightly nose down. I got the pilot from Pete's Pilots on Ebay, it came painted but I repainted it. Just need a decent day for a test flight, any joy with yours?

Hi Mark
Nice pics!  Ran mine up yesterday and was a bit unhappy with the slow end so decided to give it a flight or two without the cowl, I'm not good at keyhole tuning!  Unfortunately it looks like a windy week so I don't know when the maiden run will be.  I was surprised to hear you needed lead with the Magnum because, as best I could discover, they are  quite a bit heavier than the Saito - by about the amount I added - but I did add mine to the engine bearers - bit unconventional but why carry scrap metal around the sky!  When the cowl's on I'll add a picture or two.  I put my progress to date in an album but I try to take the pictures up the field to add a bit of reality.  Hope the weather calms down, I'm off on holiday soon. No, I can't take it with me!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mark
If I'm not too late, either set some low rates for aileron or add at least 60% expo.  Flew mine Mon and Tue and just got away with the first take off, the ailerons were oh so twitchy!  On Tues I cut back the full throw by about a third and set 60%.  Then I had the pussy cat everyone hopes for.  Are you ariborne yet?

Elevators, on the other hand could do with a bit more authority.  Not any significant trim probs.

Hi Peter, Yes my apologies, I flew mine on Wednesday, it was balanced at 120mm which proved to be just fine, at first I used full flap for take off and she was in the air within a few feet, quite hairy! I now only use a small amount of flap for take off and landing, they have turned out to be quite powerful. I find the rudder and elevator to be quite good though, although I didn't need so much of up elevator and right rudder on take offs. One of the retracts needs constant attention, appears to need re-adjustment after each landing. Landings themselves were fairly fast, having said that I used partial flap although I'll experiment with more flights, two out of three flights ended with nose in's she she rolled to the end of the strip in to the rough, but no damage. I flew mine with a 15X6 prop had a nice growl as it sped on by. For the winspan I found the roll rate pretty fast and axial Overall I was really pleased with the way she flew and it seemed to have a real presence in the air, My friend Tim usually videos flights which go on you tube but he had to work that day. Almost a low wing trainer.
Kindest regards, Mark.