Black Horse Super Air CG?

Just finished assembling the afore-mentioned model and took it up for its maiden this weekend.  I'm using an OS46LA at the front and to achieve the recommended CG at 100 mm back from the wing LE I had to add about 140g of lead.  Flying at that though the model seemed incredibly nose-heavy, needing a lot of up elevator trim to fly straight and level and a shed-load of down to fly inverted.  I haven't yet tried a dive test.

Just interested what anyone else has found with this model.  Did the recommended CG seem OK for you?

Cheers,

Tim.

Advert

Thanks chaps.  It's interesting that the instructions from seven years ago quote 125 mm, as the current instructions say 100mm.  I found the latter to give a very nose-heavy model.  I haven't had the chance to fly it again since removing weight from the nose, but I'll report back when I do.

Cheers,

Tim.

My collegue arrived at the field with his brand new Super Air today but they had problems when they flew it.The control Horns were all lose in there holes.I never had problems with mine thought they were a good idea,.I think he didnt tighten them enough and has cyanoed them on so they will not tighten anymore.I had a set of ordinary horns with the nuts and bolts in my box so he should be OK in the week.

I bought the Super air last year and the C of G is 100mm from the leading edge in the instructions. As the distance from the firewall to the engine is not given, I put the engine as far forward as I could, leaving around 1/4 inch from the mount front end to the engine lugs. The picture in the instructions shows the engine level with the mount end but I thought that a bit close. I had to add some lead to the nose to balance. I used thin lead sheet [3 layers] expoxied under the engine on the bottom of the firewall and added around 3 oz in old money. The model flies extremely well and is very stable. The engine I fitted is an Irvine 46 using an 11x7 GP3 series prop. control surfaces are as per the instructions;  Ailerons and elevator 10mm and rudder 25mm. I also use the ailerons as flaps with 6mm movement dialled in [60%] which gives a maximum total down movement of 16mm without binding.
Trust this helps

Regards,
Bill R.

Thanks for the comments Bill.  I flew mine last night for the first time since removing the ballast I'd originally added in the nose.  It seems OK now and certainly gets off the ground a bit faster, plus inverted flight needs just a little down elevator now, rather than having to push the stick nearly all the way forward!

I've got an OS46LA in mine, mounted a little further back than yours.  There isn't a lot of pwer in reserve but it can pull nice, large loops and was coping with a strongish breeze last night OK.  I'll see how it goes and whether the engine loosens up at all.  In the long run I might put a slightly more potent power source in there.

Tim.

Hi Tim you can still go back another 20mm or so , i have had both the Mk 1 and the later mk 2 both of these needed the c of g moved back to allow a nice slow landing approach at the reccomended c of g the landing speed is quite high.
I did to be honest, on mine during the build fuel - proof with epoxy inside the tank bay and along the fuz sides, this is a very weak area of the aeroplane.

While on the subject of the Super Air, anyone know where to get a red colour match in film for it ?

Regards as always
Chris.