FF9 Flap control

Andy Butler

I have an E-Flite Beaver that has flaps and these have been assembled as per the instructions. There is too much movement on the flaps and they almost reasch 90° when fully deployed. I would like to have them on a three position switch, i.e. none, 50% and 100% flap. I have tried this set  up on both channels 5 and 6 but when setting the servo travel range (end points), I can only set the 0% and 100% ends. This gives 0%, 90% and 100%. Is there any way of changing the mid point to give a linear response?
I guess that a programmable mix would allow this and it works perfectly if I use the flap dial but I just thought that the three position switch would be easier to handle.
Any help would be appreciated.
Andy.

Advert

I assume you have set the servo output arm with the center point so that the arm sticks out 90 degrees to the length of the servo body.

Try off setting the arm so that at centre it points forwards away from the flap. Then adjust the control link so that the flap sits as required. 
This should reduce the surface movement from 0 to half way and increase from half way to 100%.
If you still need less movement then shift the output pushrod towards the centre of the servo.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Andy, good advice but I think I've done it!!!
My FF9 is now controlling flaps on the three position switch. I just needed to set aileron differntial and plug the flaps into channels 5 and 6 (ailerons in 1 and 7). The control is really spoilers but the servo mid point is actually the flap first down position. After that, you just need to set the rate you want for the second down position. The servo slow really makes a difference too. I'll use a mix to add some down elevator and a second to couple ailerons with a bit of rudder and I think that will do nicely.