RE: Fastbak article build

I've just read and re-read Andy Ellison's excellent article on the Phoenix Fastbak primarily because I was thinking of a Phoenix Impulse as a winter build.

Whilst there are probably slight variations on construction, i took a great interest in the finishing tecniques. However this has instilled more questions than answers!

Firstly the taping. I've just done the same thing myself with an Irvine X-IT combat wing. Whilst i can see it creates a lot of strength are there alternatives? Eg glass fiber cloth and resin? 

Secondly the spackle, or filler stage. I gathered this was purely to create a glass smooth finish for aerodynamic reasons. I noted the polyfilla posed in the pics so i assume this is the stuff to use. Is it brittle though? after a few thumps does it crack and crumble? Also if you used fiber glass then surely you would'nt need to spackle?

Thirdly the 3M spray adhesive. I did'nt understand for what purpose that was employed at all!

Now im not trying to question proven methods, i am completely new to this EPP wing finishing buisness and im trying to tie up what all the materials are, the terminology and american interpretations from other forums. Im also attempting to work out what purpose each layer has to see if i have the neccassary material at work, gratis like....

I understand these methods have been developed over time because they do the job and do it the best way. I'd really appreciate a full explanation of how each layer and material works to complete the whole.  

Many thanks

Mike

AKA MooSey

Advert

Hello.......

Firstly you should check out the 'Sticky Stuff' feature heareabouts. There are a lot of your questions about comparable materials answered within.

Re glass cloth. It doesn't work fantastically well over EPP. It is afterall an easily deformable material and glass clothing it is all but a little pointless. It is also 'illegal' in the UK 60" pylon racing rules. The fastbak being built and finished as a 60" racer as explained in the review.

Next - The poyfilla won't crack. It is used to fill the patina of the foam for a smooth glassy surface. The 3M77 spray is used to provide better adhesion to both the tape to EPP and the Profilm covering to spackle. 

Hope this helps.

Andy 

Thanks for reply

I was thinking that GF would provide the filler, torsional stiffness and smooth finish in one go, but i see your point now about it being on foam. I guess a good smack and the GF would deform with the foam compression.

I was'nt after a pylon racer, just a tough fast sporster for a xmas pressy and winter build.  The finishing techniques on these foam wing types is fascinating and i've been reading up on what our U.S friends get up too.

I read into your article looking from the pure sports fast flyer type wing aspect. Im liking the look of the phoenix models because of the strength and price and its British!  I still might check out the total cost of importing from the states though!

cheers

Mike