1998 Poppet by Maurice Ashby and Brian Cooper

James Hogg

Hello all, this is my first post - after building a few models from kits comprising of a DB models jodel D120 and just completing a Great Planes Spirit elite glider which I have also fitted electric power I wanted to build a model just from plans.
I had taken a liking to the poppet from a 1998 issue so I,ve decided on this one. I thought this would be interesting to post and also to let you know there may be quite a few requests for advice to follow.
I will keep you posted.

Advert

• 9 years later...

I have had the plan of this Bi Plane for a long time since I copied it and the build article from a library copy of RCM&E. I would like to build it soon. I notice Brian Cooper is on the forum a bit at the moment and hoped he might spot this post so I could test his memory. I think he “resurrected” the design about 23 years ago.

I am interested in the interplane struts. The build article says “be sure to get the ribs in the right place and for the top wing the correct angle to take the interplane struts”. The bottom wing has dihedral so it suggests the interplane strut is at right angles to it and so slopes inwards, with the corresponding top wing rib being angled to match it. None of the build articles give a clear shot of the angle of the interplane struts but they do show a nice bi plane! Most other biplanes seem to have struts that are upright or angled out. I am wanting to confirm if they were intended to slope inwards.

I wonder if your memory is able to help Brian?

Oh crikey, this is stretching the memory banks...

I think the struts were mounted so they are flush against the wing ribs. I can't remember if the appropriate rib was angled slightly in the top wing, or if the angle of the rib in the bottom wing was angled.

It was probably the ones in the bottom wing so the struts remained vertical. This would make the model more pleasing to look at, visually.

Keep it light, and try not to be too timid with the power, and it is a delightful little performer.

B. C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 04/05/2020 09:47:15

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply Brian and if you do find a picture that shows the angle of the struts that would be great. Either way I hope you have fun looking through some of those photo's!

I have a Saito 56 that has been given to me, runs well still and deserves a good home.

Nigel Grant

Christchurch, NZ

Thanks Brian. I drew up some lines of the wings, and the interplane struts slope in at about the same angle as the fuselage sides slope out. The effect certainly worked on your model.

I'll have to watch some of the build articles for alternatives to fixing the top wing using bolts, though banding is simple and could help keep the structure minimal for weight control.