Plug in 2.4GHz Modules

JohnnyB

Hi Guys - Just been catching up abit by reading through quite alot of many varied and Very interesting threads. This forum is a really great source of knowledge and humour.

One interesting point I noticed was that the general view regarding the future of our Radio Control is with 2.4GHz which means, in the main Spektrum DX7 or Futaba 6EXP, at the moment, atleast...

However, last year for my birthday, I was given the fantastic Futaba FF9Super with synthesised tranny, and then sitting back thinking that I was reasonably "future proofed" Then Spektrum, followed by the 6EXP, came along and ...."peeeeeeeeee'd all over my picnic", so to speak.

But then I started to notice some rather interesting ads in some American model mags, Model Airplane in particular, concerning Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM2 plug in modules and the sun suddenly started to shine again.

So, my question is this - Are these modules on the horizon in this Country, and if they are, does it really mean that I will, after all, be able to just plug in one of these modules, and fit the appropriate receiver, of course, and continue to use my FF9?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

John.  

Advert

They are indeed available

http://www.alshobbies.com/shop/lookupstock.php?pc=7035&Desc=&PHPSESSID=2c746a6fef206b549c7e9e86001a73a2

to fit many of the better "top end" radios. Just a few things to be aware of though John. Firstly, it would be wise to double check that these are fully compliant with GB regualtions regarding power output, that it is CE marked etc, also that the parent radio will be still guaranteed should you go plugging someone elses module in! Also, there has been a product recall by HH on the Spektrum modules, due to an incident where someone lost control /range, and it found to be a broken cable connecting the module to the aerial, - something I was always a little sceptical of.

Furthermore, the module system will NOT give all the features of a dedicated 2.4Ghz set.

Most noticeably absent is ( IMHO ) model match. This clever feature ensures that it is IMPOSSIBLE to select and then try to fly the "wrong" model in your tr memory, the aeroplane will simply sit on the floor completely "dead"....or at least out cold

That said, it is an option, and I very nearly hung on to my lovely PCM9XII for the arrival of the modules, but having got so used to and happy with my Spekky.... I sold it on !

Hi David and Timbo,

Thankyou both for your interesting replies, I had no idea they were on sale over here. As far as I'm aware - no big retailer splash in the mags etc. How did you get on with Ripmax, David?

Timbo -  its always a great peasure to read your comments as they are always very informative and so easy to understand. You seem to have this great gift of explaining even the most technically difficult problem in easy to read, step by step, easy to read bites, as it were.

Over the past few months I have read many of your Forum replies and read and printed off your article on - "using Lipo's to power your R/C gear" so that I can sit out on the patio and absorb all the information at leisure.

I'm still in the very early stages of learning to fly after many (too many) years in the Wildernest and Electric flying is definately the way for me to go, so at the moment I'm "soaking up" simply everything written on electrics.

I, for one, would just like to express my Sincere Thanks for all that you have contributed to this great forum, Timbo.

John.

Hi John,

I've been told by Ripmax that the Futaba 2.4G modules are not avail. in UK yet.

Also been told by HH(UK) the HH Futaba module for my FF9 haven't even been made yet!!

Even though many model suppliers advertise them as available. 

I'm hanging on to the FF9, but if I have any heavy-landings with my 3 planes still on 35M

with 4 models already "Spectrumized" I'll go all Spectrum and sell the FF9

Helidel 

• 1 year later...