Sweeping the desert

Flying sites in Abu Dhabi are limited to say the least.

As it is I have to drive 40km 'off island' to a suitable open area. A few months ago, I discovered an area of resoanably flat and firm sand which allowed ROG with a bit of care and good luck... until mid July, when it looks like a survey team had driven up and down, across the whole area, leaving ruts in the sand that have not reduced over the weeks.

Arriving there early last Saturday morning, it was a bit too breezy for flying really so, I thought, time to act. I went scavenging around a nearby contractors site and found a few old brooms that had been thrown away and set to, sweeping 'a strip', with the three brooms in tow.

About an hour and a half later, I had swept an area about 6m wide and 30m long. I'll retun next weekend to try it, just hoping that the *&*(%^& surveyors haven't been back!

Advert

Posted by Eric Bray on 29/08/2010 23:01:33:
What's the betting your 'strip' will be at 90' to the wind!

As the wind has been fairly cosistently at 0 or around 180 degrees to the 'swept strip' for the past 12 months or so, you could bet you last pound that it will be a crosswind next time!

sparks

Last weekend was a tad too windy to fly, so I did a bit of exploration and found a reasonably well compacted and level limestone road a few km from the previous site. Its lots better for a strip but the location is both further away and also needs a bit more 'off roading' to access. And it's probably too close to a military base for comfort. Not too much bother on Friday morning, especially in Ramadan!
sparks

• 2 weeks later...
Come to Al Lisali  in Dubai and fly with us on Friday morning.
Take you just over an hour if you go on the 77, which takes you straight to the flying site.
Last time I went on the 77 their were no speed cameras either.

And as the weather is starting to cool down a bit, you can stay all day and fly from our 250 metre runway.

Darryl

Posted by Djay on 13/09/2010 11:08:56:
Come to Al Lisali  in Dubai and fly with us on Friday morning.
Take you just over an hour if you go on the 77, which takes you straight to the flying site.
Last time I went on the 77 their were no speed cameras either.

And as the weather is starting to cool down a bit, you can stay all day and fly from our 250 metre runway.

Darryl
 Cheers Darryl,
I will take you up on this one when the weather gets a bit cooler. As it is I have to be up earlier than i'd like to be able to fly from Mussafah before it gets to hot and too windy. Roll on winter!
sparks

• 2 weeks later...