Twinstar 2 set up - real novice question!

ianl1201

First post on here so hello to you all.

I've a real amateur question that I hope someone can help with regarding the trusty Twinstar II.

I've been learning to fly one of these with a guy I've been working with recently - he's now moved on and I've inherited our aircraft. I've now sourced my own radio gear (Futaba 6EXAP TX and R136F RX). The problem I've got is I'm having some problems connecting everything up and getting it working....

At the moment I've connected the servos to the correct channels according to the TX manual but all I'm getting is a beeping from the engines and no response from any of the control surfaces. I'm a bit confused as the Twinstar manual makes no mention of any audible warnings. Have I just cocked up charging my battery or (I hope this isn't the case) cooked my ESC through connecting something up wrong???

I know I'm probably making a really obvious schoolboy error but any help is greatly appreciated as I just want to get flying again!

cheers

Ianl1201

Advert

Hello and welcome aboard Ian.
its probably as suggested, therefore the ESC thinks the throttle is wide open rather than shut when you connect up, so it beeps at you to warn you to close the throttle first.
As safety precaution. almost all ESCs will not "arm" correctly if the throttle is not completely closed on connecting up.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 23/08/2010 11:48:11

Thanks for the speedy replies chaps.

I did have a quick play at reversing the throttle and ensuring it was closed but no joy. I'm getting no response from servos, motors or anything other than the beeping from the motors. The manual does say there should be a flashing LED on the ESC if the throttle has gone into 'safe' mode but there no lights coming on anywhere.

I'll have another go this evening and report back. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated though!

Hi Ian,

My thoughts a bit of a long shot...... but I once had a similar problem.

In my case the the rx plug on the ESC I was using wasnt keyed (like futaba servos are so you can only plug them in to the rx one way). 

So with the lead on the ESC you could actually plug the ESC in any way round (to channel 3 of the rx). Yep I had it the wrong way round.

Obviously, turning it round cured the problem....  may be worth a double check of the polarity of your ESC to RX???

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 23/08/2010 12:50:35

Will definitely check the plugs tonight as they do appear to be reversible.

Also training the ESC? I've not done this and my TX manual doesn't give instructions except for setting the EPD and Exponentials. How do I go about getting the ESC to recognise my TX/RX?

Thanks again

Ian

It usually is done like so...( take prop off to be sfae )

1) Tx throttle to FULL OPEN and then switch on.
2) Connect Rx and ESC to battery
3) Wait for beep from motor
4) Immediately move Tx throttle to low, wait for more beeps
5) Training done. ....switch it all off again.

All future boot ups should follow normal practice which is
1) Tx throttle low and switched on first
2) Connect esc to battery.

And so begins my learning curve!!

Removed all the servo connections from the receiver, turned them over, plugged in again, connected the battery and it lives!!!

Such a stupid thing I was kicking myself round the house...but....(there had to be a but didn't there) - R/H aileron doesn't work. If I swap the two aileron connectors over the fault moves to the L/H so it's obviously not the servo or the connection in the wing. Looking at the wiring from the ESC to the little circuit board where you plug in the aileron servos and the motors (both of which work fine) there's nothing obvious so I'm thinking something's given up the ghost or had a knock whilst it's been packed up.

Easiest and quickest fix is to order a new ESC unless anyone has any thoughts?

I'll be in the air again soon I'm adamant!!

Yep. The 6EX needs 'flaperon' mixing activated with the left aileron plugged into channel 6 on the receiver, you then need to set up the travels on channels 1 and 6 independantly, so that they move in the correct directions and by the same amounts. Page 14 of the manual if you want to have a look.

Ian - if you have flapperon setup, then you wont use both aileron sockets on the receiver - just one of them. You only use both if you are using the two aileron servos coupled ( as if you were using a "Y" lead.
Either change the Tx setting to nor, and then use both sockets, or leave it as flapperon wing mix, and follow Johns advice. Flapperons normally deploy aileron, and aux sockets.

Hey Guys, be fair - he's only a newbie - you're getting a bit technical with this one!

First question Ian;

Is your right aileron connected to channel 1 and is your left aileron connected to channel 6?

Second question:

Are they both in the same way round - check via the colour code on the wires - it should facing the same way in each case.

Third question:

If you unplug the rudder servo from the rx and plug in the aileron servo that isn't working in its place, then turn everything on and very gently waddle the rudder stick just a little - does the aileron now move? Or is it still "dead".

Let us know that and we will be in better position to advise. 

BEB 

Hello chaps - It's ok Biggles EB - I'm keeping up just about!!

I'll explain as best I can - The Twinstar ESC has red and blue wires that lead to a small circuit board that has plugs for both motors and both ailerons to allow for wing removal - out of the other end of the ESC is one plug that goes to channel 1 of the RX for both ailerons, another for ch3 for throttle and another for battery. Currently ch6 is unused on my receiver and I haven't done any mixing on the TX - I did wonder if this was needed.

If I plug everything in as per the manual L/H aileron works fine but I'm getting no response from the R/H aileron, although if I press on the back of the circuit board there's suddenly erratic movement so something's getting through to the servo. If I reverse the two plugs on the small circuit board the fault reverses also. I've had a quick word with my Multiplex supplier this morning and he suspects it could be a dodgy solder connection at the circuit board.

Reading the responses above , am I right in thinking I can bypass the circuit board by plugging the aileron servos straight into ch1 and 6 of my RX? If I do this then I'll need to do some mixing?

nope...not obvious at all! Well, certainly not to a novice like me. I've got a bit of stick time but up till now have had an aircraft and radio gear all ready to go so the technicalities of setting everything up are new to me. It's been interesting over the past couple of days and I definitely have learnt something.

Thanks again for all your help

Great forum and I'm looking forward to spending more time on here.

cheers!