Mini Super Cub

r6dan

Well I had my 4 day old super mini cub out in the stillness of this evening and got it flying really well.I was doing loops and stalls and stuff (having been inspired by the pros flying at Blyth)then... I flew it straight up did a loop then flew it straight down as I pulled out of the dive the wings decided to fold up about 50 foot from the ground making it plummet in to the ground...I need a better plane.

I want something I can do tricks and stuff with,thats almost ready to fly something that looks like the Red Bull air race planes. any ideas? 

Advert

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear about your cub, sounds like you are not just going to give up though which is good news, stick at it!

The redbull air race places are generally Edge or Extra aerobatic machines, so any scale model of these types should look how you want... BUT from your posts I believe that you have only been flying for a short time. If this is the case then you are way better off flying circuits and practicing landings etc until you have plenty of experience and you can keep the plane in the air without really having to think about it.

There is a good reason for this, the responses of a machine such as a scale model Edge will require your reactions to be accurate and fast. You will also find that it will not help you out by righting itself if you get into trouble and once your timing is behind it then it is going to hit the ground, probably much faster than your Cub!

Still whatever you decide to do keep enjoying it!

Dan.

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear about your cub.

You made the right steps yesterday by visiting the Blyth Club.  If you join a model flying club you will benefit from loads of help in learning to fly, general advice,  and more importantly your BMFA membership for the all important 3rd party insurance. 

Dont forget the little foam cub you have been flying is so light you will get away with a lot but as soon as you move onto something bigger they are heavier and as a result will need as lot more skill and practice just to get the circuits etc nice before you even think about aerobatics.

Like Ken and I were saying to you yesterday at Blyth Club we would really recommend your first model something like an Arising Star.  Honestly to go straight to an Extra, Edge or whatever wil end in .  Actually Arising Stars, although a trainer, will still do loads of basic aerobatics but  will be a lot more forgiving and give you a chance to recover if the manoeuvre goes wrong   

Once youve become proficient on your trainer model you can always move the radio gear and engine to a first low winger model.

If you do decide to go this route and join Blyth Club, I only live 5 minutes from you and will be more than happy to give you some lessons.  No problem at all.

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 02/09/2010 08:21:16

Hi Dan,
Sorry to hear about the Cub.
Its not a happy moment watching wings folding on your pride and joy. I have also experienced that ' unable to do anything about it' feeling, when you realise that you have been pushing the envelope too hard.

I'm sure that you'll be fine under the guidance of the Blythe boys!
sparks

I found out more about flying planes at Blyth in 2 hours than I learnt on the internet in a week!! the guys down there are all great,Cheers Craig...Well I will head down to the model shop and see what I can get,see if they have any arising stars or something the same. I tried to fix the wing but its dead...I really need to get in the air again!!

"Atta boy" - up and at 'em. A crash is always dissapointing. But the best way to avoid them is to pick yourself up, dust yourself down and "get in the saddle" again" working to learn well with an suitable plane and a knowledgable friendly instructor.

You've got exactly the right attitude to learn fast and well. Get that Arising Star and some instruction under your belt from the Blyth lads and you'll soon be doing those aeros!

BEB