Castrol TTS Oil for Petrol Engines

Snorbitz

I've been advised that BelRay Oils have been taken over about 6 months ago and that the supply is dwindling in this country . There is also a possibility that the supply could run out or at least not be replenished until Xmas. This coupled with a doubling in the cost i've looked for an alternative oil and come up with Castrol TTS fully synthetic. Has anybody got any experiece with this oil they'd like to share before i comit to buy or have any other suggestions for me?.

Advert

Castrol TTS is an excellent oil, used a lot in microlite & motorcycle engines. It is perfectly OK for model petrol engines. Most are based on small industrial engines built for much harsher use than we put them to & often with any old oil found lying around. There's no harm in using the best oil, but don't fret too much, you wont give your model engine a years worth of industrial/flying/motorcycle use in a lifetime!

I use Castrol TTS exclusively in a classic two-stroke Japanese motorbike (with a very expensive to rebuild V4 engine!), good stuff.

That bike has a pumped injector system.

I've also used it pre-mixed in full-size glider 'turbo' engines (self-sustainer), they have no throttle so run flat out all the time, again no problems. I think the mix ratio was 40:1 but don't quote me.

I use Castrol GPS for one of my four-stroke bikes and that was the oil that we put in customer's bikes when I  was in the trade. The other four-stroke bike uses Duckhams Q but it's an 'oldie'!!

Cheers

Gary

Should be fine. TTS is for  two-strokes only. My current bottle says 'Power 1 TTS'. Fully synthetic and the price on it is £12.35 for 1 litre (can't remember when or where I bought it though!!).

On the back label it says it can be mixed in ratios of up to 50:1 and its spec is API TC, JASO FD and ISO EGD if that relates to anything in your engine manual, if not I would go for it anyway.

Only other thing I can think of is that you shouldn't mix synthetic and mineral based oils as it can form a lumpy 'goo'! More of a problem for pump injected systems I would have thought.

Castrol R is the stuff I would really like to use in my bike because of the wonderful burnt castor oil smell but it cokes up the engine in no time and is for extreme racing use only.

Cheers

Gary 

A good point, my bike is liquid-cooled but the 'turbo' engines were air-cooled. It's not mentioned on the label of the bottle I have.

Here's the blurb on it from Castrol: http://www.castrolmoto.com/en/products/power1_tts_2t.php

They do a 'Scooter TTS' as well but they seem to be avoiding the exhaust clogging problem with that one (most scooters or mopeds are liquid-cooled now). I do remember rinsing my Yamaha FS1-E ('Fizzy') exhaust out with caustic soda, happy days!!

Cheers

Gary

Can't be good for the cat though?!!

Once had the pleasure of holding down the Shuttleworth Bleriot's tail while it was started up without its wings on,  smothered in castor oil but it was definitely worth it!!!

I think my mum used to make me drink castor oil but that's a different story altogether!!! 

Gary

Hi
I use castrol tts in my crrc pro 26cc and my 3w 55i i think it is the best 2 stroke oil you can buy!!
i say this as i used to race motocross bikes until a year ago and when you strip an engine after it has been run on it all the engine components are in really good condition with no sludge or sticky residue as with alot of other oils i have used.
I have got some of my fellow club members on it with various makes of engines and all seem to be happy on it, oh and i use it with super unleaded fuel.
Hope this helps.

Regards Woody.

I've gone for the Castrol TTS at about £12 Ouch but then you only need a little it each mix i suppose. I'll just finish off the bit of mineral oil i've got left and then give it a go. I'm going up a prop size (18x8 to 18x10) to try and reduce the noise so a tweek to the mixture is likely too at the same time.  How you getting on the with the noise of yours woody?.

Hi
mine seems to be quite quiet really my mates spe 26 is 96db and is louder than my crrc,
im still running mine on a 16x6 as it is still running in, its only had about 3.5 hours of running/flying and the instructions say  between 12 to 20 hours running!!
its fitted to a hanger 9 funtana 90 which only weighs 7.5lbs so power output is really good