Apollo Glider

Hamish

I recently acquired drawings and build instructions for this model which was featured in the May 2006 magazine and now intend to build this model with a view of using it in the eSoaring competitions, if near enough. 

The plan shows the motor being a 600 brushed type and the battery a 7 cell 1200 NiCad. all which are quite heavy. I have converted one of my other gliders to brushless, using Lipos, with a considerable amount of weight saving and total change in performance.  This has however required the Lipo to be virtually touching the outrunner and some lead being added to get the balance, which appears negative as I would consider loosing weight would be an advantage.

In order to overcome this problem and as I have not yet cut any balsa, I am considering a) moving the front bulkhead forward by making the fuz longer or b) moving the wing back a bit, to change the position of the CoG all on a bit of hit or miss in how much I should move. 

I am also considering fitting  ailerons or air brakes.

Anybody got advice on my proposals?

Advert