Flying Wings - Nano Slipstream mini wing

Cyberdave

Hi,
Just built and maidened a Nano Slipstream (Flying Wings) and thought I'd share my thoughts.

Firstly I must say I found the Flying Wings site to be very helpful, as a newcomer to RC flying and in particular building kits (however simple) I found it really helped that I could get a "bundle" with everything I needed to get the wing built without having to scratch my head specifying servos, Esc, motor, battery etc. all for £60!
Power is supplied by the same components used on their Mini V plane.

The Nano is made from EPP so is really quick and easy to build and should be pretty crash resistant!  I found the kit a little tail heavy on the 110mm Cof G specified so added a very powerful neodium magnet into the nose so I can play around with the balance by simply dropping washers on to the magnet.  I had some initial problems with the Elevon mixing on the TX but found a solution on the net.

Once I got to the field trimmed it and sorted out a little more weight to the nose it flew really well.  I have dual rates set on my DX6i and on 70% throws it was very controllable but still capable of large loops.  It was dusk and at one point I lost orientation and put the wing into a steep dive, I was really impressed with its response to the up elevator which got the plane soaring skyward with only a few feet to spare!  I'll be trying it on 85% throws (set as my high rate) next time out and I'm sure it will be sprightly to say the least!

This is my first encounter with a wing but I'm sure I'll probably go further!

Flying Wings claim 25 minutes flight from a single battery which is probably realistic at low cruising speeds but this little bird wants to be pushed!.

In short, if you want a fairly priced, portable (20" wingspan!) simple, fun aircraft that you can fly on a relatively small field both aerobatically and slowly as the mood takes you then the Nano Slipstream is worth a look!

Advert

Thanks for the review CyberDave

How many gramms extra nose weight did you add in the end (inc magnet)?
Was it not possible to move the battery forward?

If there is one thing I have learned over the years is that you have to be wary of flying at dusk. I tend to avoid it if I can as the long shadows and poor light can easily catch you out if you are not fully concentrating.

Flight time is impressive, how long are your times on average?

I've not flown a wing yet but your review has got me hankering for one too!
Loving the Flying Wings website with the detailed power specifications & bundles.
Added to my Christmas list!

Hi Guys, I suppose All told I added around 18-20 grams to the nose to get it feeling right.
The wing is pre cut to accomodate the battery, servos, TX and ESC.
All you have to do is scoop out the foam to the required depth.  I could have moved the battery forward a little but it would be weakening the nose a too much so I decided against it.
I just wish the weather would improve so I can get it airborne again and get it really sorted!