Miles M33 Monitor

Hi

Is anyone building/built this twin engined target tug/dive bomber?

The original plan was for two small 2 strokes but it looks suitable for electric conversion.

I have recently bought the plan and Myhobbystore said that someone else had bought it by coincidence.

If there is any interest I will post  some details as I build it this winter.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes please do make a building thread with lots fo pics if you can.

I have the magazine with the article of the Miles and have been looking at it for lots of times.

Even have scanned the free plan from the magazine and put it in cad for modification to my liking, but that will take some time to much to finish first.

Ton
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Hi Ian & Ton,

Just found the plan of the Miles M33 on Myhobbystore & your thread, thinking it may be just what I want for a downunder (NZ) winter project.

Guessing it would convert to electric ok? Probably work out to 3-4lbs.

Any info if you have progressed on it so far before I set the balsa in motion wouldbe good.

Tim

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your interest. I've got sidetracked into building a 'Double Delta' from a plan that was in RC Model World simply because I had most of the bits. However, I hope to start on the Monitor soon after Christmas.

Tony responded to an email from me saying that the original two strokes were a bit under powered so going for the equivalent of 15s seems essential.  I'm undecided as to having one big 3s lipo in the fuselage or cramming a  2200s in each of the engine casings. You save the weight of some wiring having individual batteries but you could have a classic single motor failure that so bedevils i/c twins if one battery gives out unexpectedly.

I think in any case I'll go for separate lipo power for the rx and servos using a cheap power regulator. That way even if the motive power fails it will be possible to retain some control and operating the electric retracts shouldn't result in a 'brown-out'.

I couldn't find anything about the retracts shown on the plan but Horizon Hobby say that the Eflite Electric Retracts EFLG200> should be fine.>

I believe the prototype makes a good scale twin subject. It has a layout not too remote from a Twinstar with a high wing and good wing area and good sized tail group carried fairly high.  I built the Eurotwin but I found the wing was too thick resulting in too much lift when powered by B/L motors and the weight of the central lipo above the low wing seemed to make in rather top heavy and a little unstable in banked turns. I also kept breaking props.

I will come back to this thread when I've stated building and will watch any other contributions with interest.

Ian

• 4 months later...
Hi has anyone got an update on on their build progress? Winter is over for you and mine is just starting so I am gearing up to build on the cold nights. Looking at using 9x7 3 blade props but havn't settled on motors yet. Did some testing with a 3 blade on a TR35-42 1000kv & a TR35-42 1100kv but only got 240w & 270w respectively. Aiming for 350w so may try a 35-42B 1250kv.
Anyway if anyones made progress I'd like to hear and happy flying & fair winds

Tim

• 10 years later...

I checked the old Traplet plan handbook.  The M33 Monitor was in RC Scale International Nov/Dec 1997 and the plan no was MW 2612 by Tony Nijuis.    Of course that was a Traplet mag and plan, while earlier here Wasaforumite said he bought it from MyHobbyStores  ( RCME/RM/RCSQ etc ) which was the rival publisher at the time.   So that could be a different plan or he made a mistake in calling it MyHobbyStores!

Now of course Sarik Hobbies do both old Traplet and RCME/RM/RCSQ plans.