Bit of fun - Messing with video...

Advert

A nice flight, sadly spoilt for me by the take off and landing.

Did you really have to hold the plane at full throttle before releasing it?

It would have been much nicer to see the plane sitting at tick over, followed by  a gentle throttle up with the tail controlled and held straight with the rudder as it bounces over the grass and into the air.
To me a good flight starts with a good take off and ends with a good  landing.
No matter how good the flying is in between, a poor landing will ruin a flight.
I accept your plane had lost a wheel and therefore the end point was a forgone conclusion.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 14/10/2010 08:02:20

Flying from a coastal flying site we often have stronger wind blowing than most are used to - its often across the patch so any tail dragger can be a problem just as it starts to roll and the tail becomes deflected the model could head towards our pits or car park...
I find the safest way (for me) is to throttle up holding the model and when I let go the tail its off the ground and I have a fairly good control of the tail as my left hand is on the throttle / rudder stick all the time - If things do go wrong I can cut the engine as soon as my right hand gets back to the Tx - does not look as good but is safer...
I do this with all my tail draggers now - a 180 degree turn around on take off with a quarter scale DR1 throwing  a 21" prop is not what you want going in the wrong direction...
I would probably not take this action if I was to fly an inland site but as it is I prefer a way that works for our field and keeps us all safe.
I hope this explanation is satisfactory.