Multiplex Merlin

electrotor

I too have one of these models and have enjoyed flying it. Whilst I would generally agree with Julian Beckett''s review I think it should have more than alluded to one of the fundamental flaws with this model.
If you follow the instructions you will glue on the nose moulding/motor mount thus making it difficult to remove the motor. You may then think that you might be able to remove the motor via the battery hatch. That''s the second major flaw - the hatch is too narrow. What were Multiplex thinking about?
On my model I reamed out the nose internally, reinforced it with thin ply doublers and glasscloth and made the nose/motor mount removable by using 2 screws and blind nuts.
For what you get the airframe kit is rather expensive. For what you get the tuning kit is ridiculously expensive. I tried sourcing the motor elswhere but was not prepared to fork out more than £30 for a low power brushless motor with a 2mm diam. shaft (easily bent so you might want it removable). I ended up getting a much more powerful motor with a 3mm diam shaft for a third of the price. Again what were Multiplex thinking about?
After the Twinstar I am somewhat disappointed with this model. It is not good value for money and has major design flaws.

Edited By electrotor on 29/10/2010 16:49:26

Advert

Posted by James M on 29/10/2010 17:05:52:
Hi electrotor

What motor did you end up using ??

This one from Giantcod.

Not only did I ream out the foam in the nose, but I rerouted the motor wires out and under, avoiding any possiblity of them rubbing against the motor. This possibility is mentioned in Julian's review.

Here's a link to some build photos.

Edited By electrotor on 30/10/2010 17:08:58

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 30/10/2010 23:09:19