Seagull Yak 54 (91 Deluxe Series)

Advert

The recent Blackhorse kits seem to have improved dramatically. I noticed that my new BH Yak54 is strikingly similar to the Seagull Nemesis in build quality. Same undercarriage, quality oracover finish etc....

The cheaper BH models aren't in the same league, but then you gets what you pay for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

...just bought one! £120 is indeed huge value for money, going with a DLE 20....will be looking through this forum with great interest about installing the engine, so no doubt I will be back with a few questions very soon.

Actually here is my first one....anyone else running this with a DLE 20? and can share some installation tips please?

Many thanks, James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ha!! Look what appeared in my shed!!

seagull yak 54

Started putting it together today. Servos in and tailplane in place waiting for the epoxy to cure over night. Fin and rudder will be in tomorrow then it's time to decide on an engine. Was looking at an ASP 120 2 stroke? I'll have to start looking on ebayindecision

Andy

Mines all together now. I was quite surprised at how big this model appearssurprise. Unfortunately while we're having all this wonderful flying weather I've got a week of nightsangry. Now I've got a 91 2 stroke up front for the initial flying. I'm going to be ordering a 120 or bigger later in on August, if I've got any money spare after my Hols! I have found that the model seems slightly nose heavy at the suggested balance point and I've got the battery right at the back of the cockpit cutout. All looking good. It is a very pretty aeroplane.

Seagull Yak 54 1

Seagull Yak 54

Andy

Do check the cg. I am sure they had confusion over wing tip and wing root. From what you are saying it sounds as though you as measuring from tip. Will check but cg is just around the spar. Would hate to hear of a miss fortune due to the cg error. Do get a club mate to double check to confirm my theory.

Yeah the instructions said measure it at the tip. Think it was between 7 to 8 cm from the leading edge at the tip. Should it be measured at the wing root then? I'm not to surprised at it being a bit nose heavy as that undercarriage weighs a fair bit and the engine is stuck way out front. I guess having the cof g around the spar would be a "safe" option.

Andy

no the instuction are fine guys i have mine quite a bit rearward of this point but that is because i am an idiot and like it that way, if you guys want i can put it on my new multiplex c of g rig and check what i have it set to!! did anyone see her fly at greenacres?? she makes me look far better than i actually am!! and so yes i am a massive fan of this model, it is my only model i will be replaceing next year

Thanks for that Leeyes. I have moved the battery pack forward to alongside the tank. This has moved the c of g to just on the tail side of the wing tube. Not much further noseward but might be a bit better for the initial flights as, other than a Black Horse Matrix (and a silly overpowered Wot 4), it's the only other specifically designed aerobat in my collection. I'm hoping to give it a go tomorrow afternoon. I know I have to get a bigger engine for it in the future. I am not expecting great performance out of the 90 2 stroke in it but it should do for a bit of gentle aerobatics. Not really in to all that stick slamming 3D stuff (yet!). I'm just happy if I can get a nice inverted flat spin going!!laugh

Andy

Mine has a DL20 with battery and ignition i.e. heavy kit at the front. Ign battery is around where front wing bolts are. Rx 2300 6.6 is at the front of the tray.

I have heavy 996R servos in the tail.

Mine is slightly tail heavy at that i.e. tail drops on turns and landing. It prop hangs great and no down needed for inverted. Little or no elevator trim in knife edge.

But, elevator trim is needed when using up fuel so I need to get the CofG further forward. Moving the ign battery up near the bulhead should do it nicely.

I am very (VERY) suprised that a 90 glow is nose heavy!

My cowl seems in a similar position to yours....

The 90 glow will be dissapointing in power I think. e.g. 16*6 running rich on the DL needs more pitch as it won't get round a KE loop. 90 glow will be 14*8?

Edited By keith hunt 8 on 24/07/2012 20:16:01