Zagi

Phil May

I put this thread in the beginners topic, even though I have been flying a couple of years, because I have just bought my first  'chuck it off the hill' model, a 2nd hand Zagi. 
 I have been assured this is the one to start off with.
 I live in South Wales and can't wait to go up Machen mountain ( Caerphilly) and learn the ropes. 
Roll on Sunday
                         An excited B.P 

Edited By Big Phil on 11/11/2010 12:03:53

Advert

go on big phil--now you're talking...i retired from work 2 year's ago and was introduced to gliding.....i had never been interested that much...and couldn't see what all the fuss was about......this after 20 year's of ic/electric's etc.....

now i'm hooked...and my glider's outnumber my power model's........my latest one is a 3mtr 'dogan'.........once you get your head around what you're doing you'll have a load of fun ... just using the wind for fuel......my first glider was a zagi(i've still got it).....enjoy phil...and be prepared to become addicted.......

thank's to j wilson/enrico/g douglass ... helped me to start off..(good lad's) dont tell them..

ken anderson     ne...1.

ps--check out my photo's.... in the hill top posse album...you'll see what you are letting yourself in for..... 

Edited By ken anderson. on 11/11/2010 12:37:47

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I have just joined this forum as I am new to RC flying .  I have just got a powered Zagi off e-bay and flew it today and its fantastic but the battery life isnt great.  It has a Nickel Cadium battery pack 1.2v 1100mAh.  Now I am not sure what all that means but I am using Li-Po in my Radion Glider and would like to be able to interchange the batteries.  Can someone tell me if it is possible to use the same batteries in both aircraft.  The Radion battery is 1.3v 1300mAh but of course is much lighter.

I have read with interest the bits about self launching !!

Help appreaiced.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andrew and welcome.
I think you have your figures a bit mixed up mate - but if the zagi has a brushed motor ( which I suspect it does ) then you could use a 3s lipo battery instead of the nicds, but you MUST land before the battery gets too low, or you will ruin the battery. Also remember the COG will shift with the lighter battery.
Final "warning" is that the brushed motr will pretty soon wear out if you pump 3s lipo power into it.

Tim,
Yeah I think your right about confusions..looking at the Li-Po again it  says it is a 1300 mAh 3 cell 11.1V.  And, the motor is a brushed one in the Zagi.  What does the 3s mean?  Would you suggest that stick with the Niad ones then if I am using the brushed moror?
Sorry to ask so many questions..

And thanks.

Andy

No need to apologise  - thats what we do here
3S means 3 series connected cells to make one 11.1V battery ( each cell is 3.7v )
I think at this stage of your experience, you may be best sticking to Nicds, but read up alittle in our beginners section on LiPos etc, and then you can easily convert later.

Andrew
3s means the LiPo battery has 3 cells. Each cell produces 3.7V so that 11.1V in total.

A NiCd cell produces just 1.2V so your Zagi pack is likely to 7 (8.4V) or 8 (9.6V) cells.

There are two problems using a LiPo with a brushed motor set up.
1. A 3s 11.1V pack will drive the motor about 50% harder so although it will give you more ooomph as Tim suggests it will wear out pretty quickly, possibly in just one flight.
2. Your Zagi brushed motor speed controller will let the battery voltage drop quite a bit before it cuts the power to the motor to leave you just enough to control a landing.
LiPos on the other hand are wrecked if the voltage drops too far so a LiPo speed controller (usually for brushless motors) is designed to cut the power to the motor before that critical voltage is reached. So if you use a LiPo in your Zagi you must land well before the brushed speed controller cuts the motor.

Much better to convert your Zagi to brushless. A LiPo can then be safely used in either plane.