Irvine 46

Dan Brannon

This is my first post on the forum although I've been looking around for a while. I'm new to this hobby and have finally got around to buying a WOT Trainer & Irvine 46 engine to power it.

This is probably a silly question but on getting the engine out of the box it is very tight turning over the crank by hand, it seems to stick and feels like its binding when the piston is at the top of its travel, it is smooth  around the rest of the crank travel. This was with no glow plug fitted.

Never having played with an IC engine I'm not sure what is normal
Do you think this a problem or is just due to it being a new engine..?

Advert

The bore on a 2 stroke is marginally tapered so the tightness is at the top of the stroke when the piston is at the narrowest part of the bore ,thats why it still tight even though the glow is not fitted so there is no compression.I did send one new engine back.IT was so tight even though I thought the prop was good and tight it wasnt .All the sqeeking and awful noises when I was trying to start it were the prop going round without the engine actually turning.Id even had the engine running before.

Dan, the Irv 46 is a fine engine, and will also serve well for follow on sports and aerobatic models beyond your initial trainer

Re the tightness when new that is, as has already been said above, perfectly normal. To demonstrate that, if you grip the cylinder in your hand for a few mins you'll probably find that this alone is enough to get it sufficiently warm to noticeably ease the engine up when the piston reaches the top of its travel.