Funtana S40 Engine Mounting

I'm at the engine installation stage in a airframe I've been given, and that has now just had it's firewall repaired, however there is a angle on the firewall that is I guess to counteract the torque roll of the engine, but my question is do I just mount the engine in the middle of the firewall and so that it is pointing in the same direction as the angle or something else?
I've drilled the fuel tank neck hole right in the centre as you can just about see.

Advert

Hi, I have an s40 and yes, just bolt the engine mount to the firewall. The side thrust angle is quite large, so be sure to offset it to one side of the firewall so that the prop adaptor is central where it exits the cowl. Funtanas fly superbly BTW, I have a saito 82 in mine, bags of spare power for knife edge and prop hanging.

If your model has a cowl when mounting the motor to the bulkhead which usually has right thrust built in you 'll have to move the engine/mount slightly to the right looking from the front of the model so that the prop driver exits in the centre of the cowl otherwise your spinner will be misaligned with the cowl. Hope this makes sense as per Ed has said above

Personlly I would never use wood screws. I use blind nuts on the rear of the firewall and threadlock the bolts to them. Make sure the bolts don't protrude into the fuel tank area though!
Irvine 53 should be fine, a friend flies his S40 on an OS 46FX. Can prop hang ok, not really enough power to pull out though and it struggles in knife edge. The 53 probs gives just a bit more power, depending on engine age, fuel, prop etc!

Ed

Edited By Ed Darter on 29/12/2010 22:09:34