blue foam monster

Tom Wright  2

The structural and aerodynamic aspects of this project have confirmed the versatility and strength of blue foam .

The airframe has accumulated quite a few hours now and no repairs have been needed.

The flat wing theory i used in the design seems to confirm that the flat wing can develop as much lift as a conventional symmetrical section,the drag is higher but ,at the low speed cruise, the the drag is not a problem,this is born out by the very low power required to stay airborne less than 1/3 of the 1.5hp upfront .

For this type of model the airfoil drag characteristics seem to contribute to the very smooth and easy handling and prevent rapid increases in speed which could also account in part for the apparent low air loads.

Don't get me wrong this is not a project set up to promote foam against balsa i have been bashing balsa for over 55 years but just thought i would have a diversion into alternative materials.Long live balsa ! but i have a feeling the price is going to spiral out of control before to long .

Edited By tom wright 2 on 10/05/2011 19:03:53

Advert

Some people were a a bit incredulous about transporting the model to the field ,and no one would admit to owning a Ford KA ,Well I'm not car conscious so here is a photo of the Blue Foam Monster ready to load into my Ford KA.
Will post a loaded ready to go photo later .

Note the silver box is for  two TX lipos battery checkers etc and the small black case is a power screw driver used for quick rig.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 12/05/2011 15:06:29

Edited By tom wright 2 on 12/05/2011 15:11:06

By clicking to enlarge the pic above ,the way things fit together can be seen.

The rear fus joiners are carbon tubes that locate into aluminium tubes in the front fus section

The U/C is slotted into a ply open ended box and retained by a single nylon bolt.

the wing tips each have two piano wire joiners set into blocks that are similar to typical u/c mounts ,the blocks are epoxied into cut outs in the foam .

The piano wire joiners locate into brass or aluminium tubes set into blocks in the center wing section.

The latest wing profile addition can be clearly seen.

I don't intend to start a full build blog but if more details and close up photos are needed please let me know.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 12/05/2011 16:06:14

Well here is the proof the Blue Foam Monster loaded in to the back of the Ford KA ,unloading and assembly only takes about five minutes thanks to the useful cordless screwdriver i got for my birthday from friend and fellow modeler Fred.

I have found there is still enough room left to get a 3m glider and 50in sports model in as well !

As you know from the videos ,the BM and the Twin Boom ,have flown extensively in the bare state, this does not present a problem at all particularly as they are both EP.

Flying experimental own designs ,bare ,makes it very easy to carry out modifications or repairs especially if things don't go quite to plan but some modelers understandably cant accept what is in effect an unfinished job.

Preparing these blue foam based designs for covering is generally very strait forward and mainly involves adding a light balsa outline with capping .

The photo below is an own design 5 ft span blue foam triplane built in the same way, as the Twin Boom and Blue Monster and after extensive test flights was capped and covered with Solar Tex. Now you never know foam was ever used at all ,unless you crash it of course ! but then its very easy to fix.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 14/05/2011 02:05:31

Edited By tom wright 2 on 14/05/2011 02:06:46

The nose top decking complete with cockpit front screen is retained with magnets for removal and access to the LIPO and ESC.
This is the view inside Hmm not exactly cramped is it ?

The wing nut is to take the bolt that holds the removable u/c in place.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 16/05/2011 01:19:25

Posted by tom wright 2 on 16/05/2011 01:14:58:
The nose top decking complete with cockpit front screen is retained with magnets for removal and access to the LIPO and ESC.
This is the view inside Hmm not exactly cramped is it ?

The wing nut is to take the bolt that holds the removable u/c in place.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 16/05/2011 01:19:25

Cramped??!!! room in there for a sofa! nice work Tom

And the view looking down the front half of the fus.

The ply triangle ,retained by the single bolt ,is removed when rigging and fits to the u/c apex that slots into the fus underneath.
continued on page 3

Edited By tom wright 2 on 16/05/2011 01:43:53

Edited By tom wright 2 on 16/05/2011 01:54:42

• 1 month later...