WOT 4-E (balsa) Mk2 ARTF chat

NigelH

Hello

New to the forum, need a little help.My Wot4 e is in need of a new glass fibre nose cowling.

It appears this model is now out of production so am finding it difficult to locate one, any help appreciated.

Enjoyed reading this thread . Lots of good advice.

Cheers

• 2 months later...
Advert

Posted by KEVIN CAMILLERI on 22/10/2013 10:23:48:

Hi,

Can anyone give the best setup found for the wot 4 E balsa..

CG -

Battery 3s or 4s ?

Motor -

Thanks,

Paddy

Paddy, see the previous few posts, will give you an idea of motor, battery has to be a 4s, 3's just does not have the grunt on the 'woodie Wot4'. In my humble opinion the 13x4 has the legs on the 12x6 with better torque conversion for sustained vertical!!!  CofG has ever been an issue on the balsa Wot4, with carful radio positioning, a 4s battery and slightly heavier and more powerful (torque) motor, I got it to 90mm, weighs 4lb, works fine for me.

Unfortunately my 'woody' is recently seriously damaged, a winter repair job. So to get back in the air quick I looked at the Foamy Wot4 . . . not to impressed, so turned my attention to the Riot, excellent build (moulding) quality, a few niggles on control surface alignment as it uses proper hinges, solved with a little 'brute force'. Latest version designed to take upto a 'compact 4s battery', great performer across the board, from simple circuits and bumps to switching to hooligan mode; control surfaces moving like barn doors.

Flying performance, compares to the woodie eWot4, Riot seems to have a longer 4s battery life and landings are easier to line up and slow down? Being of the old school, I still have an affinity with balsa wood, but with no option but foam for the type at the time, I have to lean towards the Riot. The balsa Wot4 will be rebuilt, it will be interesting to do a direct A/B comparison next summer?

CJS

Edited By Clifford Stone on 22/10/2013 12:28:50

Posted by KEVIN CAMILLERI on 22/10/2013 10:23:48:

Hi,

Can anyone give the best setup found for the wot 4 E balsa..

CG -

Battery 3s or 4s ?

Motor -

Thanks,

Paddy

I have had great luck with my setup as follows:

Scorpion 3020-780KV, 4S 2650 mAh Nanotech Lipo (or 3300 mAh for better COG and longer flight times), Castle ICE 75A ESC and 12x6EnAPC prop. I recently started flying a Zoar 13x6 wood prop and though it pushes over the 40A limit of the Scorpion motor by a tab at WOT, it has good speed and vertical perf. The 13x4 on the 780KV motor yields the same power but (for me) does not yield good speed and the airplane kind of mopes across the sky; however, Cliff uses a different setup and seems well pleased with the 13x4. All in all, for me the 12x6 worked brilliantly on the Scorpion 3020-780KV with 4S; it produces 566W at 34.8A.

On another airplane, I just started using a Turnigy NTM 42-38 750KV that might work well on the WOT-4 producing 580W with a 13x6.5 at 37A.

Another choice, especially if think you might want to stick with 3S is the Omega 130G 870KV motor sold by 3D-Hobby Shop. It will produce 525W with a 13x6.5 or 14x7 prop.

The airplane comes in around 4.25 lbs for me so I am getting around 133W/LB with the Scorpion setup.

The airplane is a blast - you'll love it!

Hi Thomas, long time no post again, been very tied up with gliders this summer. Dusted off the Wot4, really enjoyed wringing it out, never had any success with 'flat spins' on the Woody eWot4, then it happened, into a flatty instead of a snap roll, doh??? . . . not the right thing to be doing at 50ft . . . straightened it out but needed another 10ft of height. Knocked out the two front bulkheads and floor including the UC, fuselage sides are fully in tact. Damage to the starboard leading edge and sheeting, bent motor shaft too. A few? . . . hours work will see her flying again.

I think my preference for the 13x4 is due to the 900kv on my motor, your 750kv encourages the extra pitch? Probably both produce similar S&L flight speed? . . . although, I rarely use full throttle unless we are going 'vertical' . . . !!!!!!!!!!!!

The Riot has not quite got the vertical performance, uses an APC 10x5e with its 4 cells . . . probably an 11x4 or 12x4 would do the business. Only had it for a few weeks so its in the power train development stage. A 10x5e keeps the amps and watts figures at a safe level

CJS

Posted by KEVIN CAMILLERI on 22/10/2013 20:17:00:
Hi.. thank you for your posts.. I have Propdrive 42-38 750kv new never used .. waitng the slick 360, and if I use the 4s battery 3000mha how long will be the flight time? According to posts I read cg will be good
.. any servo suggestions? Thanks alot..

How long is a bit of string? . . . at full throttle it will be a lot less than half/two thirds. At a guess, say 7-8 minutes to be safe and work it up from there, but it does depend on how much wely you give it . . .

CJS