WOT 4-E (balsa) Mk2 ARTF chat

NigelH

Advert

Posted by Diamond Geezer on 05/02/2011 11:19:47:
Anyone seen the larger version of the wot4 yet?my model shop has just got one in looks ok needs a 1.20 motor though

Not seen it 'in the flesh' but I was looking at it on Sussex this morning. There's also a build thread about it on here.
I think that Ripmax missed a chance when they didn't include (no doubt easy to add) electric options in the bigger ARTF classic versions. Adding a battery (or tank) hatch would have made it more attractive to other markets. H9 has been doing this for a long time and look at how well they seem to be doing.

Posted by NigelH on 05/02/2011 10:33:13:
No Bob, you might want to try here www.specsavers.co.uk and then read the thread again

ah, that's where I went wrong, using D&A!
ok, back to the original question then - presumably even though labour costs are lower in the east they will still make up the the bulk of the cost, and the labour, shipping and retail mark-up would be similar for the full size or a 20% reduced version.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 20/02/2011 14:46:27:
Posted by Phil B on 04/02/2011 17:41:32:
I wonder if we will see ARTF Acro Wot's in the future

I think it's reasonable to assume that an Acro Wot is on the cards.

Do you know something that we don't ?

I think that would be a good move for them. Glow and EP versions should be done.

• 3 months later...
I orginally owned the WOT4 Classic & Sport versions when I was flying nitro models, however due to the increasing cost of fuel I decided to go electric, imagine my joy when Ripmax announced they were doing an electric balsa version of the WOT4 which was under licence to Chris Foss.

When my WOT4 arrived I was impressed by the packaging but a little dismayed by the contstruction of the model in that they had used the thinnest balsa they could find so I decided to use the setup that was recommended and printed on the side of the box, the model is now built but I am having a problem with the C of G, the instruction manual says that it should be 70mm from the leading edge of the wing but found the model was tail heavy, so I started to attach lead to the motor mount to try and balance it, at the present time I am up to 145 grams and the dammed thing is still tail heavy, has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how many lbs of lead was needed to balance it.

Edited By Kevin J Lloyd on 29/05/2011 08:30:00

Hi Kevin

First of all, a decent light electric model will always be made from the thinnest balsa. They should not suffer from vibrations like glow models often do and to fly good without the need for bigger (and heavier) power systems, they keep the weight down.

Secondly, and I know that I'm stating the obvious (but it still needs to be said sometimes ), have you slid the battery all the way up to the front ? Is the ESC also as far forward as possible ? I small amount of movement forwards can often make a big difference to what's needed on the nose.

I have just received a reply from a post that I put out on the BMFA website and it states that Ripmax are fully aware of the C of G problem with this model but have done nothing about it and renders the model unfit for its purpose, with this I will be contacting Ripmax on Tuesday morning demanding to know what they are doing to sort it out, failing that I will want a full reund from them even though the model is fully built.

The model has now taken well over 1kg of lead to get it balanced and if it was flown it would be like a flying brick and be lethal if it accidently hit someone, as I said earlier Ripmax  are fully aware of this problem with this version of WOT 4 but they are doing little or nothing to correct it yet they are still distributing the models out to their retailers, I will be phoning them 1st thing on Tuesday morning to get an answer from them failing that I will be contacting my local Trading Standards office as the model is "not fit for the purpose it was sold" and contravines the Sale of Goods Act 1979

Edited By Kevin J Lloyd on 30/05/2011 06:36:27

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 30/05/2011 08:50:59

I am using the recommended power set up as printed on the box and the manual, I know of a fellow flyer who converted an original Chris Foss Wot 4 to electric and that balanced perfectly with no extra weight, my own experiences of the Wot 4 using nitro engines used to balance perfectly, as these models are sold under licence to Chris Foss name I'm sure he would have something to say if he knew about the problems.