WOT 4-E (balsa) Mk2 ARTF chat

NigelH

Just a quick and rough adding up of all the parts of my ongoing WOT 4 assembly - including a 2820 motor and a 3000mah 3S Lipo comes to approx 1.8kg (nearly 4lbs!!) That's without trying to balance it at the COG. Nothing added that shouldn't be there! Worrying? Yep it is isn't it!! Have no idea yet how it will balance so that could be even heavier!

Will plod but will it fly like the foamie - not a chance!

TW

Advert

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 30/05/2011 09:29:56:
Re: Davids comments on the Acrowot......seems my LMS is "in the know" too...

Seems to be a foam version though.....I was hoping for a balsa ARTF like the Wot4 ARTF

Ah well I might have to get one of the ARTB versions......

I'm not in the 'know' on this one Steve but it seems a pretty logical and commercial step to introduce all the Foss stuff as ARTF.

Having just spoken to Customer Service at Ripmax a few minutes ago I have been told and quote "The manual has a misprint of the recommended C of G for the Wot 4-E (Balsa Version) which is 90mm from the leading edge and not 70mm and will require approximately 90grams of lead to balance it", with this I will take it out to my local flying club today and report back later with the results.

Martin the best thing you can do with that is one of the following:

1. Donate it to a museum

2. Melt it down and use it for stick on weights.

3. Keep it safe and when your grandchildren ask " Grandad what is an IC engine?" you will be able to show them.

4. Use it as a holding down weight on your first leccy build - it will happen!

Made me laugh tho'!

Kevin - well done - do we believe them? Why does the manual refer to -"may require weight" Hmmmmm!?

Terry
I have a much better idea !
Send the "nose weight" to me
Actually I have my version of a Wot4 on the drawing board based on info from forumites and photos that I started sometime ago & that " nose weight" would be better than my SC 52 .

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 31/05/2011 10:08:21

Why not try one of those really unusual Almost Ready to Glue versions?

They're really great! You can make sure that all of the components are properly glued together and you get to choose your own colour scheme!

Chris Foss'll sell you one!

Well I have just got back from my local club with the Wot 4-E intact, after initial trimming it coped well with the wind at 15mph (gusting 20mph) although it tended to drfit a little in the gusts but overall performance I am quite pleased with, getting it to land was a little tricky as just when I thought it was going to touch the wind took it up a few feet and it took me several attempts to get it to land, the weather in the NW looks to be calmer on Friday so will definately be giving it another go.

I didn't want to mention it before but I visited the Aircraft Proving Ground website which can be found at http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/index.htm , although its an American site it provides a lot of usefull information for us RC modellers, one particular page is a
C of G calculator and can be found at http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm , I inputted the required measurements of the Wot 4-E and it gave me a C of G of 82mm, so I guess Ripmax's 90mm was far off but it does seen to fly ok at 90mm, when I next have a bit more time to play with I will alter the C of G to 82mm and of course add a bit more lead and see how she performs.

• 2 weeks later...
Well - just got back from a short break and got on with my WOT 4 E Mk2 balsa. Looks great!

But..............the AUW with a 3000 mah lipo is just under 4lbs (when the 'required' 90gms of weight is added) and I make the wing loading about 19oz per square foot!! The ARTF is built as per the instructions, This cannot be anywhere near the intention when this ARTF was conceived. It will fly like a brick unless it can defy the laws of aeronautics.

Even if the revised balance point suggested by Ripmax is correct the model is still fundamentally flawed in its specifications and probably dangerous (especially in my hands!)

If my wing loading calculation is right then this puts the WOT4 way way out of line with its design use - it has the wing loading of a high end racer at best and almost double what it should be for a sports aero. With the suggested power unit it is difficult to see how it can perform as per it's stated specification.

I really don't know if I want to fly it and wouldn't suggest anyone rushes out to buy one until it becomes a 'Mk3' and has undergone serious lightening surgical work. It is built like a an IC model than an electric version.

TW

• 4 weeks later...
Well - just has a gorgeous blue sky day at my club here in France with Pete B who has maidened 4 planes for me today including my Wot4 Mk2 Balsa! It weighed in at 4lbs 2 oz with a 3S 2300 Lipo - whew!!! See pic!

But what a surprise - it turned out to be quite a pussycat after all! After PB had settled it down for me I was able to get 2 lipos worth of flying and only broke a prop!! I really thought it would be more like a lead sled and am still supplied how much of a floater it was!

Here's the proof:-

TW

My Wot4-E has completed almost 4 hours of flying most of which I have enjoyed but on Monday 4 July it met its demise just after take off at around 6 to 8 feet it suddenly went into a right hand inverted roll and crashed breaking its back, upon closer examination to find out the cause of this I found that one of the metal clevis's at the rudder had parted company with the pin which was still stuck in the nylon arm that attaches to rudder, I think I may be able to get away with a repair but I will reinforce it with fiber glass sheet on the inside.

Oh Kevin! Really sorry - I gave my a good check over yesterday before flying especially as I had to alter both clevises to reset the rudder when we put it on my mates tx for the maiden.

Still cant get over how it flew on such a short span wing with so much 'cargo' on board!

Keep us posted with the rebuild - more weight aft of the COG you don't really need.

TW