Advice on receiver and battery

Matt D

Hi everyone,

well, I'm completely new to the hobby and have been down to a local club a couple of times so far and think I may be hooked! Anyway, because I'm (very) impatient I've gone off and bought a Spektrum DX7 from Ebay. I'm hoping that this isn't something I'm going to regret later, but from reading the forums a lot of people suggest getting a good transmitter from the start, and to be honest the difference between the DX6i / 6EXP wasn't that much so decided to futureproof myself.

The transmitter has a AR6100 (v1.2) with it, but to be honest I'm unsure if this is going to be suitable for the type of plane I'm looking at, which is likely to be a 40 trainer from someone at the club (hopefully I'll be able to look at it this weekend ).

Since most people at the club are on 35MHz I thought I'd ask on here what people think? Should I get myself a AR6200 instead and leave the 6100 for if I get a small electric later on? Or are there any compatible receivers that I may be better off looking at instead?

Finally, what rx battery would people suggest?

Sorry for all the questions on my first post, but as you can probably guess I'm an impatient devil

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/02/2011 23:29:59

Advert

I'm a dedicated Futaba user, but there is no real reason to regret buying a DX7. Certainly if there is you will have plenty of others with you- it's a very popular transmitter.

Regarding the receiver the 6100 is classed as a park flier, so I would certainly go for the full range 6200.

One word of caution- I would be wary about buying off ebay at the moment-. No reputable model shop- and there are plenty- would have sold you the 6100 for the trainer. Again though- don't worry about it- I think this is a lesson every one of us has learned through experience! You seem to have got off lightly (unless you paid £500 for the tranny!)

Hi, and thanks for the reply . I'm intending to go down to Steve Webb on Saturday to look at all the other things I need, but the transmitter was the main thing that I could get a lot cheaper on ebay. I like the idea of supporting local businesses and will often pay a little bit more to do so though so it's likely they'll be getting some business from me this weekend

Hi Matt and welcome aboard - please take a little time to read our forum advice tips section. Yup, I agree, the AR6100 is for smaller short range models. For a trainer with only 4 functions, the AR500 is the best bet I reckon. I trust you bought the tx with the correct "mode" for your chosen method, as these are not user changeable

Hi Matt,

and welcome on board. You've had it now - there is no doubt you're well and truely hooked!

Tim is a great guy to advise on the Spektrum kit, knows it inside out! So I'll leave that to him.

What I will do is just ask you to take a look here. That will tell you how to get the best out of the forum - how to link to other sites, how to insert pictures and videos etc. So well worth 10mins having a look and you might like to bookmark it so you can find it later for reference.

I've also sent you a PM (private message). To read it just select "My Messages" from the menu in the top left.

So, welcome again. And any questions don't hesistate to ask, their a friendly lot on here and I'm sure you'll get lots of help and advice.

BEB

Hi Tim, I did a fair amount of research before buying (I almost drove myself mad with reading all the various 6EXP vs DS6i vs DX7 debates, including on this forum lol).

The main reason I decided to go with the DX7 was that several of the clubs around me only allow welded cells at their field so the DS6i was going to be a problem, and the 6EXP seems to be deemed very hobbled so you'd be upgrading sooner rather than later. Also, the Futaba equipment generally seems far more expensive which was a factor.

Overall most thought the DX7 is a very good radio in this price range

To be honest the receiver was just included in the listing and I didn't really pay much attention to it as I thought it wouldn't really be suitable. I was actually more interested that the seller had a spare transmitter battery !. And yep, I was very careful to make sure I got mode 2 which is what all the people at my club fly.

It looks like I'll be buying the AR600 (Steve Webb seem to have discontinued the AR500 because of how similar the prices are) this weekend. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

Oh, and I don't normally write the kind of essays that I have been doing tonight