Tips on fitting retract servo's

Hi all,

I will be fitting retract servo's tonight in nacelles, I was wondering if anyone could give some sound installation advice.

The retracts operate through an angle of 45% and are folding with an opening an locking mechanism.
I find it hard to explain, there is a leg either side of the wheel and braces from either side of the wheel through an angle of 45% approximately.
When the servo operates it collapses these braces and folds them locking the wheel in.

My questions are:

1. Should the servo ( or servo arm) be installed central to the retract operating arm. Ie... A line through the centre of the retract to the point of contact with servo.

2. The servos I have operate through the angle of 180% however the retracts work through the angle of 45%, how does this work?, is the extra 45% to ensure the locking mechanism is fully locked?. I have been assured that these are the right angles to work with.

3. Would it be ideal if the servo was mounted at 45% to the the opening/ locking mechanism.

4. What's the best linkage system to use, I have been advised to use a ball link system for best performance. Could I use carbon rods opposed to metal?, or does it really matter.

Any advise really, also how do you avoid getting the retracts locked into closed and the current draining your battery.

Cheers all.

Advert

Hi Alan,

Thanks very much for the help there, I have seen the separate battery for retracts before however how do you do it for two retract servos that have to go into one receiver port?

Will this just mean more y-leads?.

The model its going in is a Brian Taylor dh mosquito 71". As for pictures of other peoples ones there are some but for air retracts and they are also custom made from unitracts ( they no longer make them, doh! ). The ones I will be fitting are as the plan states made with piano wire, keep it light as possible.

Thanks for the diagram Alan.

Any other takers for the questions?.

Cheers.

Posted by Craig Spence on 25/02/2011 19:07:01:
Hi Alan,

Thanks very much for the help there, I have seen the separate battery for retracts before however how do you do it for two retract servos that have to go into one receiver port?

Will this just mean more y-leads?.

The model its going in is a Brian Taylor dh mosquito 71". As for pictures of other peoples ones there are some but for air retracts and they are also custom made from unitracts ( they no longer make them, doh! ). The ones I will be fitting are as the plan states made with piano wire, keep it light as possible.

Thanks for the diagram Alan.

Any other takers for the questions?.

Cheers.

Yes , just Y lead the two retract servos together and then wire up the single branch of the Y lead as if it were a servo - to the separate battery as shown.