changing to electric from I.C

Adrian Day

hey people!
yet another threat to work out how to do something that im not sure of ...
So how do you work out what motor is best when changing from I.C To Electric???? this is the set up that im thinking of using can anyone tell me if this would be right ?? i have a 4.5 - 5LB Model with a 40 I.C But want it Electric
(INTENDED SETUP) XYH42-50 800kv 43A Outrunner - with a 60amp ESC - And a S4 LiPo

Advert

I Agree with you there was going to work on the idea of 500watt motor running on a s3 45amps or s4 at around 35amps its that a better working? or am i just not getting it?
100w to every lb of plane 5lb = 500watts

its a sports model weight of 4.5 - 5 lb wing sp of 50" what else would you need to know to get better idea??

just for basic flying nothing o.t.t

i get what you mean didnt know how to do the workings of kv to watts was going to get a motor from overlander but their site doesnt give anything on the workings just the kv to a new flyer that would mean nothing less he was a mathmatician ...

glad that some people are on hand to point things out
still not 100% sure how to work out the watts from the kv

may i ask why you would suggest the 650KV motor and 6S A123's Chris or is that your setup??

i get the revs part being a little slow this is hard to work out wish some makers could do a simple working

eq 40 46 so on so on

I sympathise with you. I have thought about converting one of my Wot 4's with a 40 engne. It doesn't look easy, and once you get the solution and spend the money you may be looking at £50 a throw for Lipos? For one shortish flight?

Because of this of this I' m now considering going lighter weight (and less cost) with the likes of a Fun Cub, and selling a couple of my IC planes?

Hi Adrian KV is simply the motor RPM for every volt applied eg 650kv x 12volts =7800 RPM.
To calculate watts multiply the applied voltage by the current in amps .
 AxV=W eg 30Ax12V=360W.
Owning a watt meter can avoid damage to motors,esc, and batteries,and do al the the amps volts watts stuff for you,but it is good to understand the theory,

Edited By tom wright 2 on 01/03/2011 01:27:16

Hi Bob. The FUN CUB or similar model might be a good to way to get into EP, but not necessarily the cheapest . Converting existing models can be quite easy when you have done the home work.
Modern lipo batteries can give much longer flight times than you think and if used properly should give 50 to 100 flights.You are correct when you say lighter wing loadings
can equate to longer flights ,and if you have a decent powered glider ,it is possible to fly for hours on one charge using a low cost lipo .
There are loads of people on this forum with Wots just ask and iam sure you will get all the answers you need including.....leave it on IC....... .
TW2.

Thanks for that Tom. I did do some research on here on the Wot's conversion power train and was quite shocked at the overall cost. (Esp with the battery price included.) But as you say, longer term the batteries don't work out so expensive. With all these things if you are using the same battery type in a number of models I think it's not so bad.

I agree about leccy gliders. I have an electric West Wings Orion and thermalling and soaring I've had hours of flight. And it does use just one little £6 1000mA 1s LiPo
Plus I use the same Lipos for a lightweight Depron Edge. Nice a cheap and simple.

I did post in another thread about the power train for the Fun Cub. The official power train is almost a hundred quid, but it can done for half of that!

Posted by Bob Moore on 01/03/2011 01:22:11:
I sympathise with you. I have thought about converting one of my Wot 4's with a 40 engne. It doesn't look easy, and once you get the solution and spend the money you may be looking at £50 a throw for Lipos? For one shortish flight?

Because of this of this I' m now considering going lighter weight (and less cost) with the likes of a Fun Cub, and selling a couple of my IC planes?

You're shopping at the wrong places Bob!

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 01/03/2011 16:16:49

Posted by Adrian Day on 01/03/2011 00:27:50:
i get what you mean didnt know how to do the workings of kv to watts was going to get a motor from overlander but their site doesnt give anything on the workings just the kv to a new flyer that would mean nothing less he was a mathmatician ...

glad that some people are on hand to point things out
still not 100% sure how to work out the watts from the kv

may i ask why you would suggest the 650KV motor and 6S A123's Chris or is that your setup??

i get the revs part being a little slow this is hard to work out wish some makers could do a simple working

eq 40 46 so on so on

Have you read these sections Adrian? There really is oodles of info for beginners to leccy flight on here...you just have to make a little time to find and read em all

Posted by Bob Moore on 01/03/2011 01:22:11:

Hi Bob
I agree its kind of hard setting up on a low income but i looked a little into things and have found an offset... ok you can pay £50up for a engine and your done but then you add the price of fuel £20 +ok you may get 20 or more flights but if you pay £20 for a LiPo you could get 80 - 100 flights ok you may have to buy the charger but if you have multiple planes buy one for all will last you years

so on that its kind of taken my mind from I.C To Electric also due to some clubs not letting you fly I.C Now

hardest part is knowing what to get and where is good prices

Posted by tom wright 2 on 01/03/2011 01:24:56:
Hi Adrian KV is simply the motor RPM for every volt applied eg 650kv x 12volts =7800 RPM.
To calculate watts multiply the applied voltage by the current in amps .
AxV=W eg 30Ax12V=360W.
Owning a watt meter can avoid damage to motors,esc, and batteries,and do al the the amps volts watts stuff for you,but it is good to understand the theory,

Edited By tom wright 2 on 01/03/2011 01:27:16

Hi Tom
thanks for your post
thats helped me sort out some of what im looking for on the watts front but im still a little lost the only part thats lost me is that of how does the workings or the maths of RPM equate to power to weight ie RPM needed to pull 5LB of plane to take off so if you have a say 7800 rpm motor what would that pull in weight .... sorry i like theory before i go out and spend money only to find i have got the wrong thing and its useless

Best Regards Adrian

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 01/03/2011 10:56:07

Have you read these sections Adrian? There really is oodles of info for beginners to leccy flight on here...you just have to make a little time to find and read em all

Thanks for that link Tim Looking at it now very informative does take a little time to read them all but its good for the theory work ... hope that i can work it out

thanks again for every ones help so far and hope that it helps others

Hi Adrian The motor you will need for the Wot is worked out like this ....AUW of the model
multiplied by 100W ,say the model is 6lbs then 6x100 = 600W .
the next thing you need to know is the continuous current rating of the motor in amps.
So say you use a 4 cell lipo you know that AxV=Watts eg 14v x 45A =630 Watts.
This tells you that the motor selected must have a current rating of at least 45A.
If you then use a watt meter to to confirm the recommended prop for that motor,gives the correct power , for a 4 cell lipo, remember more cells ,smaller prop, less cells bigger prop.All this is well explained within Tim's link keep reading it and ask more questions until you are confident .
TW2.

adrian, iam converting my ic trainer to electric, i have spent hours and hours trying to work out a good set up, i think its a bit of a black hole as what size engine, prop, batterys,model weight, etc ,etc, so i whent to brc hobbies who know alot more about this subject than me, i gave them all the the spec i wanted for my model and they came back with the set that is as close to my spec, and i got a good price with there motor/esc combo, good luck what ever route you take.

Dave