Stars.....

Advert

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 19/03/2011 18:18:22:
Apparently the moon will be closest it has been to the Earth tonight than for 20 years - clear skies too, get the camera out Peter?

Apparently its a mere 221'000 ish miles from earth!!
So in Astronomical terms, its VERY CLOSE!!!!!

Dave

Problem around our way is light polution from the Quartz-Iodine street lighting which makes night time viewing with a telescope hard going, I have a pair of 20x70 wide angle bins for astonomy use but even these with hoods fitted still suffer from light polution,
The one good thing about where we lived in Wales up the valley was the lack of light polution, the sky was black and everything was so easy to focus on up there.

Talking of light pollution, I cannot remember the last time I was in the UK and saw totally dark vista all the way to the horizon.
Those satellite photos of the earth showing the lit areas also make you think.
Anyhow, have a look at this. I thought it may be some sort of image corruption but no.
Here is a brief and easily understood explanation for this phenomenon.

Hi People, having researched the red square nebula I can now put you in the picture as I'm sure you are all in wonderment of this object :- I can report regular and symmetric structure around the dust-enshrouded Be star MWC922 which was obtained with infrared imaging, biconical lobes that appear nearly square in aspect, forming this red square nebula , are crossed by a series of rungs that terminate in bright knots or vortices and an equatorial dark band crossing the core delimits twin hyperbolic arcs. The intricate yet cleanly constructed forms that comprise the skeleton of the object argue for minimal perturbation from global turbulent or chaotic effects. I can also report the presence of a linear comb structure, which may arise from optically projected shadows of a periodic feature in the inner regions, such as corrugations in the rim of a circumstellar disk . I hope that makes it much clearer for you how the red square nebula formed.

My thanks to a fellow club member who has a brain the size of a planet.