Orville and his Spitfire

Hi been having a go at building the Spit, have used the posts already and my god they have helped.

I have completed the Fuss and sanded down, see 1st pick. I have used a fine surface filler by titebond, around a fiver from Axminster tools. I have used before as it's light and roughly the same colour as balsa.

I'll upload some pics when I find out how to

Bandits at 9.00 o'clock !!!

Hi Orville, another Spitty! fantastic!! Its looking good so far. I am still struggling to find a filler thats neither too hard nor too soft, whats the drying time like with this Titebond stuff? I use their aliphatic and its very good.

Looking forward to more posts

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 08/03/2011 20:54:15

Hi Danny Orville otherwise known as Chrisp, I have posted a couple of times on your most excellent thread and to be honest used your posts a build guide, truthfully very proffesional you should write guides as a living !!!!

If you have tried the Deluxe materials balsa filla (Model Lite) you know that its very soft and to be quite frank rather useless as a filler. Then the Titebond will be heaven sent, its not too hard that it wont sand down but good enough as a intermediate filler prior to finishing with glass & expoxy. A small warning however its quite dusty and fine so wear a mask !!

I have tried most types of filler as no doubt you have and still only use the titebond and believe it or not a pollyfiller from Dulux Decorator Centres 

Quite hard and easy to sand down, both dry quite quickly and as of yet I havent had any adhesion issues.

Will upload a few more pics etc showing my progress, but I dont think it will be completed much before this Autumn

Cheers oh and fantastic build thread Danny

Chrisp

Edited By Orville on 08/03/2011 21:20:48

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 08/03/2011 21:52:06

Hi Chris, thank you for the kind words, and I am glad that my ramblings have helped you. I will give the Titebond filler a go, thanks for that. As for a light filler I am happy enough with Polycell One Fill its very light etc etc. But as you say not much strength.

I look forward to seeing you put this one together.

Cheers
Danny

Moving on nicely now

Have made first part of fin

Used the 1/2 round permagrit sander to round off the leading edge, noticed however that I have sanded a bit too much off the end of the fuss, will have to pack out with some scrap balsa

Have altered the rear of the fuss after reading Danny's post, again i will pack out with scrap balsa, if i had thought about it before I wouldnt of cut off so much of the rear top edge.

I found the 1/2 round permagrit brilliant for sanding down the top of the fuss

I must admit so far i have really enjoyed this build. I have used the posts on the forum as a build step by step, the improvements are well worth the extra time, especially Dannys posts.

Will work on the wings next

'Dont you yell at me Mr Warwick' !!!

Edited By Orville on 13/03/2011 15:20:43

Hi Danny I have the Cnc woodpack, will be the supplied ply.

I have not decided on the engine, tempted to try a 20cc petrol conversion or a saito, os four stoke.

I might wait until you fly yours and consider an electric motor.

Definatly be fitting the same to my aelerons as you did, waiting for a certain lathe to come into stock at Axminster Tools.

seems fine for the price, al I need for the planes I build !

Have you sorted the finish paint yet for your spit?

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 13/03/2011 21:38:13

In some ways I wish I had gone for something less intrusive in the workshop as my ML7 but to turn spinners you need something a bit bigger. Mind you saying that I am turning spinners in wood, and a cheap wood lathe is only £100 so your solution AND a wood lathe would still be cheaper than my setup.

You will like RDS its really nice. Substituting balsa for the lite ply ribs saved me the weight of 4 standard servos

I have Warbird Colors for my BT Hurricane so was going to try it out on this first However I keep getting this nagging thought that as its 75 years since the first Spitfire flight, I ought to do it as K5054

Cheers
Danny

I can see why you might want to paint as the prototype it would be noticeable both in the pits and the air, decisions, decisions what would we do if was all straight forward. The quality of your build will look fantastic no matter what scheme you choose.

Lol

• 2 months later...