Glow plug connector-DIY

Peter Coombe

Someone was asking for suggestions re glow plug connector.This solution works well for me.Example:
Four stroke engine,fully cowled,plug inaccesible:Forget springs and popper studs.Raid your box of collets that came with mini-drill,search until you find one that fits tightly onto plug centre terminal.Plug terminals are not all the same dia but the split collet will accomodate.File/grind tip of collet to a taper so that it cannot short on plug body.Solder short length of silicon covered wire into bore of collet and support with a bit of fuel tube and heat shrink for neatness.Then connect to usual jack plug socket.If you are reluctant to sacrifice the collet,a cross cut down a short piece of thick walled brass tube with an Xacto or piercing saw works almost as well but not so sturdy.For what its worth.

Advert

I dont think he was suggesting earthing via the plug body - merely using some tubing or heatshrink whatever to neaten up the main positive feed wire to the plug tip.
In every case I have ever encountered, including the on board glow drivers I used to make the earthing was always achieved via a terminal fitted to an engine mounting screw.

I am ,of course ,aware that the earth should go to engine mount/crankcase.
To clarify-if the collet is not tapered in width,it could bridge/ short between centre terminall and plug body. Small sleeve of fuel tube is just to increase grip on terminal even further and provide something to get hold of to pull socket off when necessary.A fibre washer betwee collet and body would also work but would be easily lost ,especially when engine is inverted.