Twister Hawk

Former Member

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been flying fixed wing for longer than I care to remember , these days mainly electric & now wish to sample the delights of electric helicopters (Not Contra- rotating.) Having followed Graham Ashbys experiences in RCM&E  I felt that was the model for me . However at the local model shop I was offered a "Century Neon Blaze" which whilst not on their shelves at that time for sale , one was shown to me , recomended , and I was given a delivery time of 3weeks , no worries , nice time to get up to speed on a borrowed simulator  , so I went ahead & ordered one .   However , after the time was up & it had not arrived at the shop , I checked on "Centurys" web site &found that this model would not be  available unti after the middle of March . I don`t want to wait that long , so would like to know of any similar electric  helicopters that I could order from my local model shop that are widely available . (As you can see I am a firml supporter of my local model shop)

Cheers , Scrooge

H i Eric ,

Thanks . I am looking into your suggestion right now . So far thinking , good price , rotor dia approx 12 cm less than "Neon Blaze" , but appears to benifit from a brushless motor , good spares back up , I`ll have a word about it at the model shop , but have given myself until Wednesday to look around .

Meanwhile wish you good egg beating ,          Scrooge .

Had a Hawk for 6 months, lots of simple fun and broken blades:->Managed to break leg off in battery holder and damage wheel (again) and it has had a hole in the nose for a while (battle damage, so decided time for a few more new bits.Had read the e-Flite CX2 body will fit, so checked in shop (Leeds Models), apparently works, so got a CX2 body in red, new battery holder and skids and off I went.Very tight fit and couldn't work out how to fit battery lead internally, so it drops out of belly, with battery attached (makes connect/disconnet much easier though).    If you do this, check servos are free to move, very easy to get body rubbing on linkages if you don't check during build.Flies very well, but I do need to adjust the gain, rotation is marked but conrollable.  Flght time seems longer (mounted low battery waring LED in canaopy - cool blue and it sounds very different too, looks superb and feels a lot stronger (an illusion I know, less body flex).If you need to replace body shell on Hawk, worth considering (may fix up old shell and spary it black:->Enjoy, I am.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
i brought a hawk few weeks ago.first day flew and control was very good ,broke a few blades,wheel etc but that's OK.2ND day different story, got it 2 to 3 feet in the air and it spins crazy then smacks to the ground.Its interesting what Eric said about the fly bar i must check mine out because i know it has come off quite a few times.i am hoping that this will fix the problem i am having now ,thanks.

check the main shafts are firmly screwed in without any play below the main frame. If you have a heavy landing you can dislodge one of the main gears so it doesn't mesh with the appropriate motor properly.

Check also that the flybar leads the top rotor blade & is properly connected.

If in doubt, take it to your LMS. They'll sort it out for you (maybe at a small charge) but they know that, if they do it well, you'll be back for repeat trade - which is far more valuable than someone coming in & buying a PicooZ.

Speaking of which, I was in my LMS today buying my first nitro heli, another customer came in & bought a Picoo; I wanted to tell him to buy the Blade MCX instead, but if he's anything like me he'll be back once the bug has bitten. and again, and again

• 5 months later...