How to Build Warren Truss Fuselage Sides

Phil 9

I found a very good artial HERE on aiffiels models website.

But my question is does every one build like this sanding each pice to fit.

I am after building a trainer type model. I was hoping it wont take to long to put togeter.

My question is can you cut the balsa to shape and still get satisfactory results. I am not looking to build a prize winning model but I dont want it to fall apart after a heavy landing.

I will be covering with a solid colour film so I do not need to make it pretty either.

any thoughts?

Advert

in used to do, gave great satisfaction, having the right tools does help good razor saw, heavy duty scalpel, with a conex curved blade, another tip is to use small fishplates across the join, but the most important thing is wood selection, the top and bottom longerons should be of equal stock, preferaly self cut from the same sheet, this helps when joing the sides together, and saves bending to one side, build the first side, then lightly oil with parafin a sheet of paper, or just find something see through, lay it on the top of the first side, and build the second side on the top, this gives you two near perfect sides,  remember,   your covering in film,   this does not give any strength to the structure, joints will have to be good,    use alpihatic resin, by the way,   much better than PVA, or cyno

ah traditional building. good, innit

Edited By Alan C on 19/03/2011 18:21:05