FGlass covering

Hi All

I am getting ahead of myself a little bit but it gives you folk's a better chance to give me advice, I am about to embark on a Jart build ( thread will start when I get the funds for the bit's) I am going to do a balsa fuse and a foam/obishi wing with plug's for transport, Now the aeroplane is going to be painted with pearlescent paint and deep clear-cote, Really shiny I am told. I need to cover the whole thing, I know that weight is always an issue with glider's but having read everything ever printed about the Jart ( slight exaggeration) the Jart being a little heavy won't be a big issue, Is glass cloth the stuff to use or am I on the wrong track?

Any helpful advice is welcome.

Best Regards

Lee.

Advert

Glass cloth and wing skinning epoxy. If you can vac bag them under mylars it will save you a lot of wet sanding later.

I'd go for a few layers of glass over an obechi wing. The jart is designed to have carbin on foam as stock. Mine is my favoured heavy ply lay up bu the model only plays out on big days. Sometimes wish I'd built a lighter one instead of this 74oz thumper.

Andy 

Lee

Look on the internet for glass covering, there are a number sites you can find, which deal with Epoxy glass covering.

Some detail methods which do not require vacuum bag techniques, may be considered old fashioned, they do work, do not necessarily increase weight disportionatley, and provided a good finish. Although time consuming.

They nearly all describe a wetting out process, using to much resin, than either removal with kitchen towels  or a squegy of some type, or scraping with credit card (defunct ones work as well as your current issue, and do not mess up your card holder).

Often there is then a filling process later, to give a gloss finish.

Like many things, there are many ways to skin a cat (or Jart), they all work if done patiently, and a modicum of care.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Well after alot of searching I have found a really helpful company in South Shields
 that were more than happy to point me in the right direction, They haven't done much in the model's area but I think you will find the price's are more than competitive, Take a look at http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/

So Jart build will be in the blog soon.

Best regards

Lee