Spectrum AR 6200 RX

Hi everyone, thanks to Eric Bray for replying to my query in "electronics" but with respect to Eric I'm afraid he misunderstood my question which is, does anyone know how many amps this RX will take from the amperage load generated by the servos ?.
I have a 92" Yak 54 with 7 Hi Torque servos, these ran thro' a SM services powersave which has turned up it's toes!! I have a spare AR6200 that I can pop in but I don't know if it will take the load, Spektrum website gives NO info' on amps.
If no one knows the answer I will rig a multimeter in the battery lines and wiggle everything to get an idea of the servos amps demand and try emailing Spek' for an answer. I'm trying to avoid buying another "Powerbox" hopefully !!
Cheers, Keith.

Advert

You could by-pass the receiver - the only thing you need from the receiver is the signal. So you could make yourself a kind of extension cable which only takes the signal from the receiver and for the power you go direct to the battery (needs to be the same battery as for the receiver itself). Cost is practically zero - just a few wires more are hanging around.

Hi Guys, thanks for that, you would think that looking at these tiddly little rx's that as Eric say's, couple of amps tops, but apart from Spektrum ads showing T.O.C. giant gas burners doing 3D with all surfaces going like the clappers and using BIG servos I have been sent a few links from the U.S. quoting flyers stating that they have checked the amps they are pulling and some of them are up around 5--6 amps!!! on this very rx.
I just wish Spek' would quote the max limit for all their rx's so we know what we can and cannot put thro' 'em!!
In the meantime I have checked my amp demand with a multimeter (on the ground of course) and to my amazement 'twas only around 1 amp (AVOX HI TORQUE MG SERVOS x 6 + 1 x std throttle) with all sticks going, I realise it will be more in the air with flight loads.
Yes Vecchio, could do as you suggest but I really don't want more wires, it's like the inside of a computer as it is.

I think you are probably worrying un-necessarily, as we have shown many times here that servos pull a lot less than you think in most cases.
If you're talking huge 1/3rd scale monsters, and extreme 3d big ships etc, then it s likely that these will be fitted with equally impressive receivers such as the AR9110 etc - well able to handle the likely loads.

Thanks Tim, as you say and as my basic test showed the amps were a LOT less than anticipated so I can probably use the AR6200 on it's own with safety, as per my earlier post the question only arose 'cos the SM Services Powerbox committed sebuku!!
I use the Spek' AR9100 "powerbox" with 4 receivers in my other big Yak 54, that can take 50 amps, interestingly the same multimeter test (6x Hitec hi torque + 1x std throttle) pulls many more amps, 8 amps spike, 5 amps continuous stirring all controls, Gawd knows why.
Anyway thanks to all for your replies.

• 2 months later...
Posted by Keith Lowe on 03/05/2011 20:46:59:
Thanks Tim, as you say and as my basic test showed the amps were a LOT less than anticipated so I can probably use the AR6200 on it's own with safety, as per my earlier post the question only arose 'cos the SM Services Powerbox committed sebuku!!
I use the Spek' AR9100 "powerbox" with 4 receivers in my other big Yak 54, that can take 50 amps, interestingly the same multimeter test (6x Hitec hi torque + 1x std throttle) pulls many more amps, 8 amps spike, 5 amps continuous stirring all controls, Gawd knows why.
Anyway thanks to all for your replies.

For anyone that might be interested, I later discovered that my multimeter was faulty so now testing via a QUALITY multimeter on the big Yaks,  both with big, powerful servos I can confirm that they both pull 7-8 amps odd spikes and consistant 5-6 amps stirring the sticks, so in conclusion DON'T use an rx like the AR 6200 or similar on it's own it won't take the load, use a powerbox type system, I'm using the Spekky AR9100/AR9110 types with 50 amp max load.

Edited By Keith Lowe on 08/07/2011 15:20:10