Slope soaring virgin

Advert

Thats fair enough Tim , But every one I've seen and flown up the 5C had a bad tendency and they are know though out the slope fraternity to have that horrible tip stall and spirial
which has been given the term the Zagi death spirial , but there are plenty of other choices that out perform the Zagi ,not all chevron wings are created equal

I agree Stephen - plenty of others around - I very much like my flying wings Slipstream too for example - but Ian did suggest that he had already sourced a Zagi at the right price etc, so I was only really confirming to him that IMO it will do him fine to get started with
By the way.... love the look of some of your PSS stuff

Hmm, Yep I think I'll still go with Zagi for the reasons already mentioned. I have a preference for aeroplanes that look at least something like a full size aircraft so I'll be keeping as many of my pennies as possible for a future purchase.

So the only requirement for the Zagi (which looks nothing like a Northrop YB35/49/B2 IMO) is for it to be my introduction to sloping.

Anyway I know Tim wouldn't let anything go wrong.

Ian

Thanks Steve,

I'm a bit worried about this addictive bit . I'm already a lost cause!

Early this year I decided I've got enough aeroplanes, flying, in need of service (ahem) or still in boxes so I don't need any more. So far I've built the Webbit and just this minute arrived home with box full of flying wing.

I've got offers from Tim & Dave (Gilder) to show me the ropes and I'm all excited. Time to suggest a family visit to Llandudno I think .

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 21/06/2011 12:46:54

Just to let you know my first slope plane was an Oramge Box Rudder elevator in the early 70's prior to that I flew Scale power F4C, but after that first success I modded the orange box and stuck ailerons on it and had great success ,I then got my hands on a Veron Springbok at the end of the 70's still ruuder elevator but it flew beautifully then I discovered GRP (fibreglass) and the rest is history. Currently I have 40 airworthy slope machines in my hanger ,slope is all I fly ,is it addictive ??? I'll bet you a pint that after your first outing you'll be looking at other slope models to build and staring at every lump in the landscape and think that'd work Good luck and may the lift be with you
SteveW

Stephen .....thats what I do now, in fact, last night I was out in a little place called Blaengarw which is the next valley west from The Bwlch. As I drove through the village there was this huge horseshoe shaped mountain with a very steel slope which would probably fly in south to south west, or maybe even a westerly. I've had a quick google of it this morning and it may be that there isn't any vehicle access to the top. There certainly isn't from the Blaengarw side and only a slim chance from the Bwlch side so it may be a long walk but certainly worth investigating further.

Posted by Alex Leigh on 22/06/2011 08:54:09:
There are *many* slopes on the bwlch. Some that are a very easy walk, some more of a hike. Fantastic place to fly. Every sloper should get there at least once. There's a map of teh slopes on the web somewhere, I'll try and find it for you later.

http://www.knewt.com/bwlch/thebwlch.htm

Alex. The Bwlch is practically my local slope being only a 45 minute drive from me and I try to get up there most weekends. The slope I found last night is not one of the usual ones flown there, i.e. Crest, Wrecker, VR98, Ice Cream Slope, Back of Wrecker & Mickeys and I know the map you're talking about.

Here is a picture of the area with an arrow pointing towards the slope. It seems there is a track running from the road that goes past the Wrecker, up to a structure on the top of the mountain then on to where there are 4 masts. If access is allowed along that track to the masts then it may be ok. I'll take a look this weekend, weather permitting. The yellow road you see at the top of the picture is the road that goes past the top of the Wrecker and Crest.

Ah, so I've just heard elsewhere that you have to park on the road a few hundred yards west of where we park to fly the Crest, then a 15 - 20 minute walk to the masts. It needs a south westerly to blow up the bowl which is a good 900ft above Blaengarw. Apparantly the landing zone is great in all soft grass. Most fliers use Mickeys for that wind direction which is why this slope doesn't seem to get used much. I think I may just have to give it a go though.