Slope soaring virgin

Both myself and Big Phil are looking at taking our first foray into the world of sloping.

We live in the Newport, S. Wales areas and know there are a few places locally where sloping takes place. Phil has bought a s/h Zagi and I've just ordered a Flying Wings hawk but we need to learn how to fly these things without sticking a .61 FS up front which is our usual weapon of choice.

I've watched loads of videos and played around on the Phoenix flight sim so I have a basic idea of what to do ............. I think.

So gentlemen, all advice welcome please.

Advert

Oooo err, well now lets see.
Try and choose a day when the wind is not too strong - around 12 -15MPH would be nice.
Find where the other slopers use, and use that spot - if youre lucky, others may be there and will, I am sure, be happy to help. be absolutely sure the COG is correct - flying wings are pretty unforgiving of that.
Remember the golden rule about " elevator controls speed, and throttle controls height"?
Well, your just about to find out why! Any forward movement of your aircraft will require a little ( or a lot ) of down elevator, pull back, and all that will happen is she will slow right down, and increase AOA, so gain height as a result.
If possible, get your first launch done by someone else, preferably a slope flier who is good at launching ( some are woefully bad ).
Get the model pointed dead into the oncoming wind, stand as close to the edge of the slope as possible without falling off and holding the model LEVEL, or very slightly nose down, take a firm grasp and throw it out, "purposefully" but not so hard as to make recovery difficult if it goes a little wrong.
The model will want to climb immediately ( assuming trims and COG are correct ) so be ready with elevator control, aiming to get the model level, and heading straight out into the oncoming wind.
Make all your turns into wind - NEVER back in toward the slope, as speed will increase a LOT, and could easily find the model behind you, and sinking fast.
Just concentrate on flying side to side, a reasonable distance out from the slope face, until you feel more comfortable with the whole experience.
In part two, I might even tell you how to land - thats the fun bit

I dont know the hawk - but it looks suspiciously like a rip off copy of the well respected dreamflight Alula. If it is, and has similar weights etc, then it wont be very good for a beginner - especially in anything like a decent wind.
The alula is best in a gentle to nothing whiff of a breeze.
The zagi is better IMO - its larger, heavier, and tougher - a trait that you will certainly come to respect a lot. Sloping is generally tough on models, as LZs ( landing zones ) can be very harsh, with gorse, hard ground, stones, fences, walls, and trees all competing to catch your model - and thats if you actually get it into the LZ !
Dont expect to do so every time. You will t some point "land out"....IE: in front of you, down the slope somewhere , so a tough, visible model is the order of the day.
OK, so youve been stooging around side to side, youve re-discovered the awesome power of the elevator on flight speed, and despite the huge grin on yer face, its time to land.
Look around you for people, dogs, other models etc, and ensure the area is clear.
Position your model away in front of you, at a decent height, and start your landing circuit, either LH or RH turn, followed by the down wind turn. At this point the model will speed up a lot, and you need to use elevator to maintain a decent height, and let the model fly down behind you before your final turn into the landing approach. At this point you need a fair bit of height, in order that you can concentrate on keeping the wings level, and gradually ( using elevator again of course ) to adjust height on the glide path, so that she "arrives" hopefully within the LZ. Dont worry if its not at your feet, get her down safely in one piece, and bask in the reflected glory and terrific satisfaction you feel as you walk over and retrieve the model.
Go back to pits, sit down, have a coffee, sticky bun, or fag etc.... and then wipe that silly smile of your face and go do it again!
Once you have it nailed - you will wonder why you waited so long to try it.

Well of course, as they say, every flight has to end with a landing, but in lots of cases, its more of an arrival, and thats exactly why something tough and bouncy is the ideal weapon of choice for the slope virgin.
Even experienced slopers get it wrong sometimes ( ask me how I know ) and many an "expert" has fallen foul of a bit of turbulence, or sudden wind shear just as the bird was about to make a nice clean touchdown. This can often lead to either a sudden stall and resultant hard drop onto the solitary stony bit of ground, or perhaps a quick flip of a wing, and before you know it she's cartwheeling her way down the back of the car park !
It probably good advice ( I hope ) to not try and get the perfect landing at very slow speed, right at your feet - instead, have a purposeful approach, and "fly it" down to avoid the dreaded stall. This will become VERY important as you graduate up to the more delicate moulded or all built up style models, such as these.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 02/05/2011 23:24:16:
Woohoo, I can't wait . Thanks again Tim

This is the Hawk

Yup, I looked when you first mentioned it - thats why I likened it to the Alula

Oh, and by the way, I never forget the famous phrases uttered by the inimitable slopetrash

" Never get too attached to anything you plan to throw off a big hill"

"Throw it like you stole it"

SLOPE = Smashed, Lost, Or, Pulverized Eventually.

Having said all that, it is the most fun you can have on windy hill bar NONE.

I looked at those PSS birds earlier, they're amazing! I watched a video the other day where someone had converted a Seagull PC-9 into a slope soarer. I was going to get rid of mine but maybe, at a later date, I may just consider converting it myself.

But I have to learn to fly again it seems which is a challenge I'm up for. So hopefully my new bird will be up and ready to fly in a couple of weeks and I can give it a go. Betcha we have weeks of dead calm weather then.

Of course, the other thing to mention is dont expect to keep the trim levers in the same spot every flight - as you fly in stronger and stronger winds you will find yourself needing to put in a few clicks of "down" to help the model penetrate and actually get a move on.
Flying in 80MPH is certainly challenging ( especially launching/landing ) but a whole lot of fun, and just wait until the next time someone down the field says " its too windy for me" as you stroll out to the strip with your model in that 20 MPH wind.

Best of luck Steve, and do please post back here with how you got on - and especially if you find the tips useful or rubbish. I consider myself reasonably experienced now on the slope, but by no means an "expert", so maybe its all rubbish LOL.

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 02/05/2011 23:30:30:
Oh, and by the way, I never forget the famous phrases uttered by the inimitable slopetrash

" Never get too attached to anything you plan to throw off a big hill"

"Throw it like you stole it"

SLOPE = Smashed, Lost, Or, Pulverized Eventually.

Having said all that, it is the most fun you can have on windy hill bar NONE.

Me thinks i should have beefed up the underside as was suggested to me! not sure i want to throw it now!

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 03/05/2011 02:25:48: ..... snip! .....
PS - Good to see that Flyingwings are bringing out some EPP slopers, they look pretty good.

It'll be interesting to see how the slightly smaller Reaper:

compares to it's uncannily similar predecessor(s) from Alan Head's fine stable:

The Wildthing has been the best 60 quid I've ever spent and she's always the first to get chucked off a hill to test the lift and get my eye in and thumbs limbered up, ready for the mouldie.

Ro.

Edited By RGPuk on 03/05/2011 02:56:56

Oh Dear..............Yet again the poor old FW Hawk seems to be being labelled with being an Alula Clone, presumably purely on the basis that it has a forward sweep planform and a pod.

For important info, it's a completely different size/span/proportion, wing section(s), weight, and construction style, and if you buy one for ultra light/no wind SAL you'll be in for some very brief flights!! But then again, the current "Evo" Alula isn't a fraction as good in that respect as the original "Mk1", either.

The Hawk is however a very good light to medium wind SLOPE plane, and correctly set up has much more wind ability than it's appearance might suggest, just don't expect minute plus long flights from a windless flat field or "slope soaring" a lorry container or 15 foot beach shelve a la Mk1 Alula.

Ah good info on the Hawk there Dave - thanks.
I was ( as I said ) going on appearances, as it is - you will agree a dead ringer on the photos
I like the flying wings stuff very much, having two of their models in my collection- the excellent slipstream sloper, and the superfly (holy cow version )

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 03/05/2011 08:42:14

Crikey, yes that reaper is a dead ringer for a younger WT isn't it?
Good price too, although I have to agree on the WT - best fun I have on the slope every time - and always produces a huge grin at combat time to finish a session.
Like you RG - I always use it to test the conditions too
Now, lets see if that tempts AE out of his lair

The Hawk is an excellent first sloper we have 3 in our school club one of which is flown on a regular bassis the other 2 still being built. It will fly in anything up to about 30 mph its a cracking little model and excellent value for money.

Hi Conwy Soarer

Great photos and info, thanks. That Hawk looks great.

Twmbarlwm is right by me but I hadn't thought about flying up there. I was going to try Machen, Bwlch, Meio and Garth, depending on wind direction of course, all of which are within easy reach of me.

I'm still waiting for my plane to be delivered and you can bet that once it has and I've assembled it, these good winds that we have now will drop to a whisper.

i lost my slope viginity on our local hill the trundle above goodwood race course in a good solid wind flying a foamy wing. so i bought a middle phase from the club sale fitted the radio gear and took it to another local hill to test fly my mate said the wind was marginal he flew it and trimmed it for me, so i had a flight and he drummed in to me to always turn into wind away from the hill. i was doing ok untill i turned right and the model turned left it then decided to do it's own thing. the ailerons were working and the elevator but she would stay straight or level and wandered off way down the very long hill and dissappeared past some woods. me and my brother set off down the hill to try and find it. we are not spring chickens anymore and it was a hot day. one one part of the slope we both lost our footing and did about five hundred yards of grass ski'ing (not reccomended on your backside). we frighten the hell out of a herd of deer and finnaly got to the road about a mile away and found the model she had come down through the tree's and landed nose first by a ditch the only damage was the hinges on the rudder were detatched and i think thats what caused the fly away. she's now repaired but has'ent flown since