Saito Exhaust Comes Loose

Peter Jenkins

Well, let's hope that you have indeed stumbled across a solution. Best of luck in the Nats - I'll look out for you!

BEB

PS I really do hope you're not easy to find as being the one flying with no exhaust! What are you doing - IMAC?

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/08/2011 17:42:32

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Well, due to a family illness, I didn't get to fly at the Nats but did fly the day before and managed a further 3 flights with the Saito and exhaust staying firmly attached. So, methinks that Mr Saito has come up with a design of a silencer that stays put without any need to resort to epoxy, plumbers tape etc. The same cannot be said for the exhaust pipe to cylinder head join where I used 5 min epoxy and which appears to be holding ..... at the moment.

• 1 month later...
Well BEB, guess what? That darned cylinder head to exhaust header came loose again! Luckily, it did not cause a dead stick and so I only noticed the looseness when I came to choke the engine again for the next flight. So, a well rehearsed pit stop later (nut done up to a tightness I can only describe as "as tight as I could possibly do it without causing any damage to the engine bearers and their attachments"! The silencer to header pipe joint, that is with the new type Saito silencer, is fine! I'll see how many flights I can make before the wretched thing works loose again!
PJ

• 3 years later...

I bought a Seagull Yak 54 complete with a Saito 82b fitted at a swap meet. Looked like the engine wasn't even run in. It had a right angle bend and extension fitted. I was 3/4 way through a bunt today when I got a dead stick, on landing the exhaust was missing complete with extension. They are expensive to replace. Not a great day but at least I landed safelyyes